Sunday 8 May 2016

Review: Beautiful Boy by Leddy Harper

****4 Stars****
 
 
I have been a fan of this author from her first book yet with Beautiful Boy I struggled a bit but I persevered as I was sure Leddy would not let me down and in the end she didn’t.
Beautiful Boy starts with the two characters Novah and Nolan coming together during a photography project at high school which leads to much more and what you think is about to be the start of beautiful first love romance is anything but. Fast forward fifteen years and we find Novah is a seemingly happy woman now involved in photography as a career but tainted by the fallout from the incident with Nolan, harbouring a hatred for him even. Until Nolan unexpectedly reaches out to her.
Nolan is a truly complex character with many issues and honestly his character is what I struggled with somewhat in this book. I felt for him but I really wanted to shake him and tell him to man up, however I did fall for him a little in the long run when he eventually came through his issues.
I think the author handled the issue of PTSD beautifully and respectfully through Nolan and his issues. I did find Novah’s easiness to forgive Nolan after holding him in such contempt for so long a little frustrating but I loved that she made him work for her.
Overall an enjoyable yet emotional read.
 
Reviewed by Vikki Ryan
 
 
One introverted girl.
One extroverted guy.
One assignment.
One afternoon.
Then everything changed…

“You destroyed me.”

Novah wanted nothing more than to walk away, never see him again. She was determined to pick up the pieces of her tarnished reputation and move on. Her torture became her muse, earning her well-deserved notoriety for capturing beauty with her lens. She had come full circle. She had it all…until he returned.

Nolan found himself surrounded by the grim facets of life, no longer the prominent boy from an affluent family who’d caught Novah’s eye. The years had been unkind and left him in the dark, painful trenches of life. He needed her help.

Fifteen years can equate to a lifetime of change, neither one the same person they once were. Despite the humiliation, the latent wounds, the missing years…they’re destined to heal one another in unexpected ways.

“You saved me.”
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment