Tuesday 11 July 2017

Review: Whispered Prayers Of A Girl by Alex Grayson



*****5 STARS*****




Being a bit of an emotional masochist and having a weakness for wounded characters, I knew immediately after reading the blurb I needed to read this book. Note that tissues are definitely a necessity and not only did I cry for a good portion of this book, I was an absolute blubbering mess at times.

Gwendolyn is trying to give herself and her children, Daniel and Kelsey a new start in Cat's Valley. Her husband died almost three years ago from an unexpected and sudden heart attack and it has left an emotional mark on all of them. Most affected is Kelsey, who has not talked since her father's death. The only time Gwen hears her daughter's voice is when she over hears her heartbreaking prayer to God late at night begging him to bring her father back. She hopes a new location will allow Kelsey to heal and begin talking again.

Alexander lives in Cat's Valley and is suffering from his own loss. He lost his wife and daughter four years ago in a car accident. He carries physical scars from that night, but the emotional scars are much more painful and impossible to overcome. When he runs into Gwen at the grocery store he his surprised by the affect she seems to have on him. Several days later when he rescues Gwen and her children from a bad storm he has no choice but to let them wait out the bad weather in his cabin. He leads a solitary existence by choice and feels guilty as he begins to allow these three people into his life.

Soon, Alex and Gwen develop feelings for each other and Daniel and Kelsey form an attachment to Alex. Alex is sure he has nothing to offer these three people who are unexpectedly letting light back into his dark existence. He surely doesn't deserve them and he feels such guilt over the thought of moving on. Can these four people heal each other or will the pain of their pasts be too much to overcome?

I adored this story. Anyone who has ever dealt with loss will relate to the pain these characters are each dealing with in their own unique ways. My heart broke right along with them as I read and I silently hoped they would find a way to move past their pain and grief and find a way to happiness once again.




Reviewed by Rosemary Feil 




A tortured soul meets a damaged family…
A lonely man, a widowed woman, a carefree boy, and a broken girl… Can the four come together and help heal each other? Or will fear of the unknown and guilt about the past keep them apart?

Her whispered prayers break her...
At night, as she’s drifting off to sleep, I press my ear to the door and listen to her heart-wrenching pleas. Her words are agony to my healing heart, but I cherish the sound of them, for that’s the only time I ever hear my beautiful daughter speak. Since her father died two years ago, she’s grown quiet and withdrawn. Cat’s Valley was to be our new beginning, a place where my family and I can heal, but what we find there is so much more.

Scars mar his body. Pain has left him in pieces…
Four years ago, I lost the two things I cherished most in the world. They were ripped from my arms in the most painful and cruel way. Since then, I’ve kept to myself, preferring to stay away from the pitying looks and murmured rumors. Everything changed when she and her children barged into my life. It was an accident, and I don’t deserve them, but now that they’re here, I’m not sure I can let them go.










No comments:

Post a Comment