Tuesday 18 July 2017

Review: The Iron Tiara (A Nine Minutes Spin Off) by Beth Flynn



****4 STARS****





If you haven't read Beth Flynn's Nine Minutes trilogy, I really think you should before starting this book. There's quite a bit of crossover and I would classify some of those things as spoilers. I read and loved the Nine Minutes books. They're great stories that tie together beautifully. Reading these three books first will give you a better insight when you start The Iron Tiara.

This spin-off novel is well written and engaging. It holds your attention through all the twists and turns. For me, the characters themselves are the best parts of Beth Flynn's books. She seems to so effortlessly bring them to life, making them almost palpable.

Bear is an exceptional character. He is true to himself and unapologetic for his actions. He's lethally notorious and widely feared. As his character develops, the target of his loyalty may be changing and being protective is something relatively new to the fierce man.

Christy is not what she seems and is much deeper than she first appears. There is definitely more than meets the eye with her.

So on to my only criticism... 
Now I realise that I've just raved about the characters but this is a double edge sword. My criticism is that there are so many sub-characters that are instantly compelling and easily draw you in. My issue here is that they could have "appeared" and enticed us but then had their own books. As it is, I felt like I was given their entire story compressed into a sub-characters' small part in this book instead. I am left feeling like I know their story but was cheated of the indepth details. 
I really cannot explain this feeling more adequately, without including a spoiler and of course this is only my humble opinion.

I must stress though that this book is definitely worth reading! It's stormy, passionate and the characters intense.

*Read the Nine Minutes trilogy first though... 




Reviewed by Vivienne Kauffer






Anthony Bear and Christy Chapman are from two completely different worlds.

Anthony's the leader of a motorcycle gang that terrorizes Florida’s West Coast. As a child, he ran away from his family and the Cherokee Indian Reservation to enter a life of crime. As an adult, he leads a multifaceted life managing his two businesses—his legitimate landscaping venture, and his loan shark and underworld dealings. Driven by anger and betrayal, Anthony begins the hunt for Christy’s father, Van Chapman, after he runs out on a loan.

Christy’s privileged life is not as it seems. She has kept painful family secrets and hidden some of her own. She’s determined to find out the truth and expose Van, but her search delivers her right into Anthony Bear’s hands, adding kidnapping to his list of crimes.

Their worlds are as contrasting as the color of their skin. The only thing they seem to have in common is their mutual disdain for Van Chapman…and each other.

They couldn’t be more wrong.










No comments:

Post a Comment