Monday 3 October 2016

Review: Race the Darkness (Fatal Dreams #1) by Abbie Roads

*****5 Stars*****


Wow! This book was just what I needed right now, so different to anything else I've ever read. It's gritty, intense, intriguing and thrilling. The combination of the story being something totally new to me and the author's writing style, which I just connected with instantly, meant I literally couldn't stop reading this. 

I went into this with the idea that it was a paranormal romance, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that's it's more of a psychological thriller, maybe with a tad bit of a sci-fi bent. 
I don't want to give much of the story away as I went into it totally blind and enjoyed it all the more for it, but I will say that Xander captured my attention from the get-go. Xander is our hero in this tale, not only is he scarred from forehead to calf, he also has a special ability. An extra-sensory ability I suppose you could call it. You find this information out in the first chapter so it's not a spoiler, but straight away from that first chapter he had me intrigued. 
I also anticipated a bit of a 'beauty and the beast' type tale when I read of his scarring, and I'm a sucker for those. I love a man with an "imperfection", I'm a firm believer that it's our imperfections that make us perfect in our own ways. 
The pace of the story was great, fast enough to keep me engaged but not too fast that it didn't keep me in some suspense. I just absolutely loved this book and I'm so excited for the next one! So if you see me banging on about this book for the next few weeks, which I probably will since I'm an unapologetic book-pusher, then don't be surprised!


Reviewed by Steph Lewis


First in a gripping paranormal romantic suspense duo by a Golden Heart finalist debut author whose clinical work gives her chilling insights...


Cursed with a terrible gift...

Criminal investigator Xander Stone doesn't have to question you—he can hear your thoughts. Scarred by lightning, burdened with a power that gives him no peace, Xander struggles to maintain his sanity against the voice that haunts him day and night—the voice of a woman begging him to save her.

A gift that threatens to engulf them...

Isleen Walker has long since given up hope of escape from the nightmare of captivity and torture that is draining her life, her mind, and her soul. Except...there is the man in her feverish dreams, the strangely beautiful man who beckons her to freedom and wholeness. And when he comes, if he comes, it will take all their combined fury and faith to overcome a madman bent on fulfilling a deadly prophecy.






No comments:

Post a Comment