Monday 3 October 2016

Review: Down Shift (Driven #8) by K. Bromberg

*****5 Stars*****


I'm not going to lie, the Driven series for me has been a bit of mixed bag. I've absolutely loved every book dedicated to Colton and Rylee, to the point that I would class them as some of my favourite reads and Colton as one of my all time favourite book boyfriends, but I felt that a certain something was missing from the other books in the series. Even Becks and Haddie's, which as much as I loved it and cried bucket loads, I just never felt it made me feel like I did in those early days. Some of that was perhaps 'right book, wrong time', but still I have always been hoping that subsequent books would spark that feeling in me that I got in those earlier reads. So as much as I was looking forward to reading Zander and Getty's story, I most definitely wasn't expecting the fantastic book that I've just read.
This is more of a surprise to me because I will always remember Zander as that scared little boy, so I had doubt's whether I would be able to picture him as a twenty something hot guy and certainly had reservations whether I would be able to handle any hot sex scenes that I know K Bromberg writes amazingly. Well I can honestly say I had no problems in making the switch from young Zander to very much an adult Zander. He was most definitely hot and just like Colton, he had one hell of a personality, if maybe not a bit moodier than the original racing playboy himself.
Getty for me, struck a chord early on. And even though Zander was working through some emotional baggage, it was her who really pulled at my heart strings. She had enough vulnerability about her that didn't make her come across as a whiney damsel in distress and because of this, her strength shone through in bucket loads and made me love her so much more than I thought possible.
For me this book was a superbly written, emotional read and certainly by the end there were tears of sadness, joy and frustration, which to me can only mean one thing........that this was an incredible story.
I'm so glad K Bromberg told Zanders story as it has also restored my faith in this series as a whole and I for one really hope there are many more books to come.

Reviewed by Louise Dale


The New York Times bestselling Driven series continues with a standalone story about finding love where you least expect it…
 
Behind the wheel, racing champion Zander Donavan is at the top of his game. But after too much excess in his personal life, he’s forced to step away. He needs to accomplish something all on his own—outside of his famous father’s shadow. 

Getty Caster is running away from the abuse that clouds her past. She thinks she’s found the perfect escape—until she discovers a stranger in the beachside cottage she’d been promised. He’s undeniably sexy, but she’s there to heal. Alone.

Before long though, fighting with each other turns into fighting their attraction. And giving into desire sets off a chain reaction that has their pasts colliding. With an unexpected love on the line, can they overcome the fallout to build a future?





No comments:

Post a Comment