Thursday 28 July 2016

Review: Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl #1) by Chris Russell

***3 Stars***


This is the author's debut novel and I have to say that I didn't much care for it. I enjoyed reading it but it didn't hold my attention very well and I have to admit that I skimmed through a lot of it. I was instantly intrigued by the blurb and thought it was going to be a hot, sexy story about rockstars with maybe a love triangle thrown in like the blurb seemed to depict, but there was very little romance in this novel.
We have Charlie who is an amateur photographer, only using her camera as a hobby. When her recent photos of the school band gathers the attention of OIly Samson, an old classmate, who wants her to take backstage pictures for his band, Fire & Lights, she is suddenly thrust in a world that is completely different than anything she has ever known filled with paparazzi and backstage arguments. She is suddenly caught in the middle of sexy, mysterious frontman Gabriel West and his boy next door bandmate, Olly Sampson, who briefly went to school with her before he got famous. As Charlie is caught in the middle of the boys' fights with one another that threaten to tear the band apart, she comes upon a secret that could change everything!
I loved the camaraderie between the bandmates of Fire & Lights: Olly, Gabe, Yuki, and Aiden. They cracked me up with all the crazy stunts and jokes they pulled on one another! Other than that though, I didn't particularly feel a connection between any of the characters, especially Gabe, Charlie, and Olly. I would have liked a little bit more of a relationship development and definitely a lot more romance since I felt like the book revolved mainly around Charlie's photography and her mysterious past.
I started this book believing that it was a standalone but it ends on one hell of a cliffhanger that leaves you with way more questions than answers and wanting the next book immediately. While I didn't particularly love this book, I do want to read the second just to get closure and answers to all my questions that Book 1 left me with.

Reviewed by Ashley Ziegler


Charlie Bloom never wanted to be 'with the band'. She's happiest out of the spotlight, behind her camera, unseen and unnoticed. But when she's asked to take backstage photos for hot new boy band Fire&Lights, she can't pass up the chance.

Catapulted into a world of paparazzi and backstage bickering, Charlie soon becomes caught between gorgeous but damaged frontman, Gabriel West, and his boy-next-door bandmate Olly Samson. Then, as the boys' rivalry threatens to tear the band apart, Charlie stumbles upon a mind-blowing secret, hidden in the lyrics of their songs...
 




No comments:

Post a Comment