Thursday 28 July 2016

Review: Destroy by Nikki Sloane

*****5 Stars*****


I am a shameless Nikki Sloane fangirl. She could rewrite the phonebook and I would be clamoring to read it. When I found out she was tackling CD Reiss's Song of Submissions series now that it is a part of Kindle Worlds, I could barely contain my excitement. While you can go into this deliciously sexy short read without having read that series, it is likely you will have a pressing need to seek it out once you're done so you can fill in all the complicated backstory hinted at in Destroy.
Destroy continues the story of Jessica, Jonathan's ex-wife. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of her going into this, but I wasn't too worried since I knew Sloane would be able to get me invested in her story. Jessica is currently trying to rebuild her life and reputation as an artist after being convicted of murder. She has endured many things in the last several years, but she refuses to allow her work to be destroyed by Alex. He is also an artist and has his own special brand of infamy. Jessica knows he is a monster and she'd rather destroy her sculpture herself than let it fall into his hands.
Her convictions however put her in a precarious situation since she is on probation and he has the power and knowledge thanks to her vandalism to send her back to jail. She can't go back. Left with no other options, she is forced to collaborate with Alex and reinvent her sculpture. Once Alex has her at his mercy, how far will he go? Will be prove to be the monster she is convinced he is or will he be the savior she has been looking for all this time?
This story was short, but was so well done. Nikki Sloane really shined here. She managed to give us two extremely interesting and damaged characters and told a detailed story with a lot of tension (both sexually and plot wise). I enjoyed reading Destroy tremendously and highly recommend it. I loved the ending. As you read you'll most definitely be asking yourself if Jessica gets a happily ever after or if she has finally gotten the just desserts she deserves.

Reviewed by Rosemary Feil


My entire life fell apart once. It took everything I had to pull it back together, and drag the Jessica Carnes name out of the gutter.

And now he threatens to destroy all I’ve worked for—my sculpture, my rebuilt reputation, and my life. All I have is my art, and I’ll do anything to save it from his predatory hands.

Even if it means offering myself instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment