Monday 18 July 2016

Review: Salvatore by Natasha Knight

*****5 Stars*****


This is only the second book I have read by Natasha Knight and I must start by saying how very much I have enjoyed both, especially this newest one. No idea how her books escaped my radar previously, but I'm so glad I've been introduced to her wonderful books. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Mafia romances. When they are well done they can be excellent with lots of ready made tension, suspense and action, but when not done well they can be difficult for me to read through. Salvatore is definitely one of the well written type and Natasha had me engulfed from the prologue.
This story was detailed, complex and multifaceted. Lucia DeMarco finds herself the property of the Benedetti Family as a modern day mafia spoils of war. Her family and them had been engaged in a long standing and ruthless war and the DeMarcos came out the losers. To save the rest of her family she was given to the Benedetti and a contract was signed. Five years later, Salvatore is now in charge of the family and it is time for her to serve him in any way he desires, while secretly planning to extract vengeance for herself and her family.
I was so in love with Lucia's character. Normally in darker reads, while I will like and enjoy a female lead, my heart belongs to the male lead. I did indeed love Salvatore, but there was just something special about Lucia that I was instantly enamored with. She finds herself in the worst possible situation, but still remains strong willed and does not give up all hope. She was the least bit weak and she wasn't waiting for a man to come along to save her. Despite everything she was put through and suffered, she did not allow herself to break and I had so much respect for her because of that.
Salvatore has been taught that the Benedetti Family never loses and that they needed to be cruel and ruthless to assure that end. He does some admittedly terrible things and to the outside world he may seem as much of a monster as his father, but they would be wrong. He is nothing like his father. He goes through the motions in public of trying to break Lucia, but at heart he doesn't want to hurt her. Behind closed doors he is kind and almost romantic with her. He is ultimately a decent man who must act in a dark way because of his circumstances and the family he was born into.
The relationship between Lucia and Salvatore was complicated and so engaging. Lucia wants to hate Salvatore and at times, he makes it hard for her to not, but she cannot completely deny their chemistry or the attraction that grows between them. For Salvatore, Lucia had the opportunity to be his salvation if he could find the strength to stop worrying about making his father happy. There were a lot of twists and turns filled with sweet moments, heartbreaking moments and sexy moments as they made their way to their HEA and that made the epilogues even sweeter.

Reviewed by Rosemary Feil




Lucia

It all started with a contract signed by him, then by me, while our families watched. While my father sat silent, a man defeated, giving his daughter to the Benedetti monsters.

I obeyed. I played my part. I signed my name and gave away my life. I became their living, breathing trophy, a constant symbol of their power over us.

That was five years ago.

Then came the time for him to claim me. For Salvatore Benedetti to own me.

I had vowed vengeance. I had learned hate. And yet, nothing could have prepared me for the man who now ruled my life.

I expected a monster, one I would destroy. But nothing is ever black or white. No one is either good or evil. For all his darkness, I saw his light. For all his evil, I saw his good. As much as he made me hate him, a passion hotter than the fires of hell burned inside me.

I was his, and he was mine.

My very own monster.

Salvatore

I owned the DeMarco Mafia Princess. She belonged to me now. We had won, and they had lost. And what better way to teach a lesson than to take from them that which is most precious? Most beloved?

I was the boy who would be king. Next in line to rule the Benedetti Family. Lucia DeMarco was the spoils of war. Mine to do with as I pleased.

It was my duty to break her. To make her life a living hell. My soul was dark, I was hell bound. And there was no way out, not for either of us. Because the Benedetti family never lost, and in our wake, we left destruction. It’s how it had always been. How I believed it would always be.

Until Lucia.

Author’s Note: Salvatore and Lucia’s story is a steamy standalone romance with a happily-ever-after. No cliffhanger and no cheating. It is intended for mature readers.









No comments:

Post a Comment