Monday 26 September 2016

Review: Loving Amber (Riverstone Estate #1) by Roya Carmen

*****4.5 Stars*****


After her Amazing Ground Rules Trilogy, I was anxious to read the start of this newest trilogy by Roya Carmen. Loving Amber takes us on an emotional journey that switches back and forth between the past and the present. This story perfectly illustrates how messy and complicated love can be, something Carmen has a talent for writing about.

Amber is a single mother trying to come to terms with the death of her twin brother and husband in a tragic accident. Needing someone to blame, she blames Aiden, a man she grew up with and has a complicated history with. My heart definitely broke for Amber, though I will admit to also being frustrated by her. I felt so bad for Aiden and how she treated him. While on a rational level I could understand why she acted the way she did (and I believe her own personal guilt had much to do with it), my heart just went out to Aiden. He really stole my heart in this story and I was anxious for Amber to realize the vast majority of her anger and surface hatred was misdirected.
Carmen has shown herself to be a master at playing with a reader's emotions. She writes characters that get under your skin and stay there, forcing you to fret and agonize right along with them. Amber and Aiden definitely fall into this category. I cried for them, laughed with them, and ultimately rooted for them. Their story was heartbreaking, complex, and so compelling to read I found it hard to put this story down. This new series features standalone books all about the Riverstone family so this is a complete story without a cliffhanger, which made me very happy. I'm so looking forward to the new book and reading the love stories of Amber's siblings.

Reviewed by Rosemary Feil


Torn by tragedy. Reunited by love.


Two years ago, I lost my husband and my brother to the same tragedy. To this day, I hold only one person responsible—Aiden Rogers, the beautiful boy I’ve known forever, the misfit I’ve both loved and hated, the one who always got to me. As far as I’m concerned, he’s the only one to blame.

Now he wants to be part of my life again—when I can finally see a future for my son and myself. I’ve found the perfect man in David, someone I can start over with, a man who will be the perfect father figure for Trevor. I have a plan. At last, I see the light, and I know I can make this work. 

I will not let Aiden Rogers drag me back into the darkness.


Author's note: contains sexual scenes and some coarse language. 

This is the first book of the Riverstone Estate Series and can be enjoyed as a standalone read.

***
The Riverstone Series: A beautiful estate. Three unforgettable love stories.

Following the sudden passing of their father, Amber, Ruby, and Flynn Riverstone inherit the family estate and find themselves facing new challenges, growing closer, and discovering love along the way.






No comments:

Post a Comment