Monday 12 September 2016

Review: Hard to Hold (Hard to Play #1) by Katie Rose

***3 Stars***


This is one of those books that had me intrigued from the synopsis. Here we have Logan, a hot soccer player who finds himself in the role of a single dad and hires Isabella to be the child's Nanny. Not only did I think it was going to be somewhat steamy, but more importantly I anticipated lots of emotion and an instant love for Logan. Unfortunately I didn't really sense much of either of these things and sadly for me there was just no Wow factor and the sex scenes were far too brief, sometimes the act itself condensed to a single paragraph, which gave me very little sense of passion.
I found it quite tough to connect with the characters, especially Isabella, who initially comes across as the modern day Mary Poppins, minus the spoonful of sugar. Although she did grow on me more as the book progressed and she lost that stick from her backside. I struggled really to find, besides her looks, what Logan was attracted to, because she came across as far too opinionated. The fact that Logan found himself in a particular situation with the baby, I would have expected Isabella to be a little more understanding and not have made such an issue. I also felt she overstepped a lot of boundaries as far as her profession goes and that for me made this book lose its believability. There were, however, little snippets of vulnerability from her and it was during these times that I felt she redeemed herself somewhat.
As for Logan, I got a sense of him being incredibly gorgeous and definitely a man who has no shortage of female adoration, but he was still a little two dimensional for me.
Now I have to say I really mean no offence to anyone who has a child with the name that is given to the baby in this book. I believe that if you want to call your child that, then that is entirely your perogotive, however for me it was a name that I just couldn't take seriously in this book and that meant for me, the usual 'awwwww's' I get when children are featured in works of fiction just wasn't there.
That being said, the writing itself isn't bad at all and the epilogue was my favourite part of the book and it was in fact where Logan finally became the man I hoped he'd be. I'm pretty sure this book will be a good read for many, but I myself tend to lean towards books that have something that makes me feel some kind of emotion and more feeling towards the characters.

Reviewed by Louise Dale


New Jersey Hurricanes striker Logan Hart lives for the grind of training, the adrenaline of competition, and all the perks of the road—until his ex hands him a baby and tells Logan to raise her on his own. He’s eager to pass this bundle of joy into more capable hands and get back to his hard-playing, hard-partying ways. But when a beautiful, blond drill sergeant of a nanny turns Logan’s life upside down, he sets a new goal: winning her heart.

Isabella Bennett takes pride in teaching the rich and famous how to become loving families. Her no-nonsense style is just what Logan and his crying, copper-haired cutie need. So why can’t she get the image of Logan’s tanned, muscular body out of her head? Isabella’s here to whip a new father into shape, not fall for a sexy ladies’ man. But their chemistry is too tantalizing to ignore, much like the temptation to trust someone with her deepest secrets—and embrace a loving family all her own.





No comments:

Post a Comment