Thursday 1 September 2016

Review: Landon (In Safe Hands #1) by S.M. Shade

****3.5 Stars****


Landon is the first book in the new In Safe Hands series, from SM Shade. Though not connected, characters from the first series, Striking Back, do appear in this book. It's is not, however, essential to have read the Striking Back series (although I highly recommend it).
Landon is a great character. With so much going on in his life, there's no time for relationships and that's just how he wants it. He does not do relationships.
Zoe is struggling to get by. Supporting her younger brother and putting herself through collage, she takes a job and meets Landon.
I've got to admit that one of the things I loved most about the previous series from this author, is her ability to create such intimacy between the characters and sorely I felt this was missing in this book. I didn't feel an intense build up between Landon and Zoe and as a result, I found it slightly flat.
That being said, the camaraderie between all the characters is fantastic. The brotherly solidarity is heartwarming. There's plenty of drama and action in this story and the sub-characters are great! There's a particular sub-character that's caught my eye and I'm hoping for his story next.
All in all, I enjoyed this book and I'm sure you will too.

Reviewed by Vivienne Kauffer


Zoe
I’m not interested. I’m not interested in his blue-green ocean colored eyes, his lean muscular body, or that crooked smile that can be so infuriating. I have more important things to worry about, like how to keep myself in college and my sixteen year old brother fed and sheltered. We all know life is hard, some of us just learn that lesson younger than others, but that doesn’t mean I’ll give up. I intend to succeed and make sure my brother has the opportunities he deserves, and no privileged jerk is going to distract me.

Landon
I don’t date. Don’t get me wrong, I’m far from celibate, but my condition makes carrying on any kind of normal relationship impossible. My life revolves around In Safe Hands or ISH, the underground hacker group I work with to track down and take care of predators and sex offenders who beat the system. I’m satisfied with my life until the day I meet the smart mouthed, compassionate, determined woman who opens my eyes to possibilities I never thought existed.

This is book one in a series of standalone novels.




No comments:

Post a Comment