Sunday 7 February 2016

Review: The Mother Road by Meghan Quinn

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
5 LOL hot dog chomping stars
I don’t know where to start with this book as it has so much going on but the humour is second to none, it flows brilliantly through the book even when things get a little emotionally heavy at times. I am a fan of this author and her style of writing but I think The Mother Road is my favourite so far.
Marley has left behind her sheltered childhood on a farm in upstate New York for a life in L.A. where she has carved out a career for herself. She is surprised by a visit from her dad and brother along with Tacy, the family’s old beaten up RV, with plans for one last family trip across route 66 to pay homage to her late mother and send her brother Paul off into married life. And so starts the banter between Marley and Paul and the sibling rivalry that leads to some hilarious and cringingly embarrassing moments as they fight to get one up on each other.
A spanner is thrown in the works for Marley as they stop along the way to pick up Porter Smith, Paul’s best friend, the family’s surrogate son, the goat milking farmhand that works for her dad, the sexy plaid shirt wearing, brow cocking, first crush of Marley’s that she obviously has unfinished business with. I loved Porter and I loved that we got this story in dual POV with him as it was lovely to get his observation of this quirky family.
As the trip progresses the frost between Marley and Porter gives way to their obvious attraction and the secret flirting and rendezvous’ between them were just lovely to read. However, the trip has an end destination and they are both guarded as to what will happen beyond route 66. Is there chance for a relationship beyond a vacation fling and will Paul throw a diva fit if Marley was to hook up with his best friend? The story does take a flip towards the end as these quirky characters finally begin to deal with deep buried emotions and it is brilliantly woven in with the humour.
I loved the characters in this story, Paul was hilarious with his boring trivia knowledge and girly squeals and he really delivered some belly chuckling moments. And Marley’s dad was brilliant, I loved his quirky sense of humour and the relationship he had with what he views as his 3 children. And I loved how he intervenes in the end to make Marley and Porter face up to their feelings and once again pay homage to his late wife.
A brilliantly delivered hilarious story of a family reconnecting and finally acknowledging the pain of losing a loved one.
 
Reviewed by Vikki Ryan
 
 
Never in a million years would I have pictured myself as an axe-wielding, dragon lady, chopping up multi-colored flannel shirts into my very own plaid mulch. But here I am, chopping away my frustrations.

It all started when my brother, Paul, convinced me to go on one last family road trip across the Mother Road with him and my dad.. Just like old times, right? Wrong. What Paul fails to mention is his best man, Porter, will be joining us, who just so happens to be my childhood crush and the man who broke my heart four years ago.

What is supposed to be a fun, family bonding experience across Route 66 turns into a war of pranks, awkward moments and bathrooms full of dirty flannel shirts and day old beard clippings. Paul’s know-it-all attitude and Porter’s devilish charm brings me to the brink of my sanity on my seven day trek across the United States with three bearded men in a small 1980’s RV.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment