Friday 12 February 2016

Review: Ink & Lies by S.L. Jennings

*****4.5 Stars*****
 

 
How can a book, with characters so flawed, be that good?
August Rhys Calloway, a struggling indie author, turns it all around by becoming Hope Hughes, best selling romance author extraordinaire. He has the benefit of anonymity and for someone who writes about love for a living, he has a very jaded view about love in real-life.
His best friend Fiona, is different. She totally believes in the concept of love and dreams of finding her very own book boyfriend.
This book is mainly told in August's point of view and despite the fact that he's a serial bed-hopper, flitting from one woman to another, which he tells himself is to find writing inspiration, he's totally likeable, immensely funny and at times it is heartbreaking to witness how completely hollow his life would be without his grandfather and his best friend.
This book was incredibly well written, the story is totally unique and despite having a storyline where one of the characters is an author, which by enlarge is normally a no-no for me, in this case it completely works and I think that is solely down to S.L. Jennings writing skills.
My only criticism is that I'm not sure I was totally enamoured with how the book eventually ends. If I'm honest it was a bit of an anti-climax. The build up to it was huge and the conclusion felt more like a 'blink and you'll miss it' moment.
That being said. I was completely hooked from the beginning and despite my issue with the ending, this doesn't detract from the fact that this is a very cleverly written, funny book and one that I would definitely recommend.
 
 Reviewed by Louise Dale
 
 
From International Best Selling Romance Novelist, Hope Hughes, comes a gripping, heartfelt tale of two lovers, fighting for the freedom to…

No. Scratch that. Too cheesy.

…two people, torn apart by the tumultuous tides of life, only to discover refuge in…

WTF? What does that even mean? DELETE.

…two people, confused as shit as to where they should be and who they should love and none of this means a damn thing because it’s all lies!
Lies.
I’m not Hope Hughes. I’m not some fierce woman romance machine. Hell, I’m not even a woman.
I’m a liar.
And while I refuse to believe my own BS, deceit masked in heartfelt phrases of love and devotion, I want to make her believe them. Because maybe—just maybe—if she can find the soul within my words, she’ll also be able to find the truth scribbled on my heart.
You see, I once lived for the perfect plot twist.
I just never expected to actually live it.
This is my story. Well, maybe her story. I just wish I could make it our story.
The one I’m still writing.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment