Wednesday 27 January 2016

Review: Infinity by Shanora Williams

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
This book slayed me, it’s been a while since I read an ugly cry book and Infinity certainly made up for it. Just the authors footnote giving some background to this story had me crying and I would recommend reading it to understand the authors mind-set in writing this story. For me it hit very close to home at this time and I doubted if I should read the story but I’m glad I did as there is always hope.
Shannon is dying, she is at peace with what seems to be her fate and we find her trying to prepare those around her for life after Shannon. She has had a tough life and fought to find stability for her and her younger sister and so this card she has been dealt seems especially cruel. Shannon had two great loves in a relatively short space of time and though it is obvious she loves he husband dearly facing her own mortality has her reminiscing over her life. The flow of the story between current time and Shannon’s flashbacks is flawlessly done.
My heart was just breaking for those around Shannon especially her husband John who would and was doing anything to find a cure for his wife, to prevent her death, he wasn’t ready to let her go even though Shannon kept pushing him to face life without her. The emotions in this book and very very real and very raw but it was superbly written. I just wanted to hug John as he faced the most challenging time anyone can go through.
Maxmillian Grant is Shannon’s ex, her first love and quite a character, he encourages Shannon’s crazy rebellious side and is just the outbreak she needs from the routine of doctors and medication. He encourages Shannon to chase her lifelong dream and in doing so gifts her the ultimate dream. Max’s love for Shannon was infinitive and it was heart breaking to read them putting the ghosts of their failed relationship to rest but it was cathartic for them both. I must add this includes a subject matter that I know is difficult for some to read and so only think it is fair to point out there is discussion involving abortion.
The ending to this book was very bittersweet and I was prepared for the inevitable outcome for the author to pull the rug with the unexpected twist that still left me sobbing. A beautifully written story that I loved despite its tough subject matter and would recommend if your heart is up to it, just remember the tissues.
 
Reviewed by Vikki Ryan
 
 
I am going to die.
I can’t change or fix it.
It is just something that is bound to happen.

I have fought for so long that all I want to do is give up, but I can’t because I have a sweet, devoted husband.
I have a sister, who I am deathly afraid to leave behind because I am all the family she has left.
And then there’s Maximilian Grant—the ex that I can’t seem to shake or get rid of.

I want to remain a warrior, but when what’s left of my life is tested, and my love becomes a jumbled up mess, all I can think is one heart shattering thing.

How can I leave this world peacefully knowing not only is there one man that would die for me, but two?
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment