Monday 9 November 2015

Review: Resentment by Nicole London

****3.5 Stars****
 
 
This is the debut book for this author who shows great promise. It kills me to have to give this book an average rating as the writing is good, witty and humorous however there was too many holes in the story for me to ignore and the conclusion left me somewhat baffled. The characters required more development as they were quite immature which in the first part of the book I expected but not as they became adults. Though I did enjoy the witty banter and attitude of the lead character.
Mia and Dean’s story begins in high school where she is the geeky artsy nerd type and Dean is the star jock type, after Dean begs Mia to help him with his grades the two quickly become more as Mia sees a different side to Dean. The two find common ground in their unhappy home lives yet all along I kept waiting for the moment that this was all a play by Dean to humiliate Mia but when the fallout came I was just left thinking WTH. I was devastated for Mia and wanted to strangle Dean for his behaviour towards her.
The story moves on ten years and Mia is still as witty and at first seems to be getting on with her life but this is where the story became a little sketchy for me. There were just too many areas where I kept questioning the reasoning and coincidences to just accept the storyline. We catch up with Mia as she is at a crossroads in life and decides to return to her passion for art as a career choice, a decision which brings Dean back into her life. And I just wanted to strangle him all over again. The actions of Dean in the role of career he has chosen just didn’t gel and when we finally learn of the reasons for his behaviour I was once again left thinking WTH. The one section that we heard from Dean just brought us a mature adult that was supposed to be a policeman carrying an unjustified grudge and sounding like a petulant teenager still, though his story was sad I still don’t think his actions as an adult were ever justified.
Overall a promising first book from the author that I will certainly not hesitate to read again.
 
Reviewed by Vikki Ryan
 
 
Re•sent•ment

The act of hating – no, fucking loathing Dean Collins. (Yes, I’m well aware that’s not the actual definition, but it might as well be . . .)

It’s been ten years since we've seen each other and the feelings are still as strong.

I’m not going to bore you with all the details of how our love was once intoxicating, consuming, and perfect.

Because it was . . . until it wasn't.

I've been fine without him. I haven’t missed his cruelty, his coldness and his spite.

And after the ugliest breakup in the history of breakups, I forced myself to move on.

Year by year, the feelings I had for him slowly drifted away, but one encounter with him recently changed everything. One encounter made me realize how the heart doesn't forget shit, and how my mind is going to have to work overtime to make sure I never forget my definition of resentment.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment