Tuesday 24 November 2015

Review: Butterfly Dreams by A. Meredith Walters

****3.5 Stars****
 
 
OK, let me clarify, this book was not bad. I can't fault the writing or the story, but what I would have expected from this book was that knot in your stomach kind of feeling that you get from an emotional read, but what I felt was barely a flutter.
In theory, this book should have been everything.
Beckett, I really did love him, I loved his whole outlook on life, even the one he tried to hide from everyone. I did however have a hard time relating to the other characters and again I can't even explain why.
As for Corin, I really do have to tread carefully, because despite my aversion to her, I really do imagine that her hyperchondria would have been completely debilitating, but as a reader and someone who has had no dealing with this disorder, I felt that her character could have been so much more likeable. She has such a negative view about a lot of things and whilst I understand why, she just didn't give off enough warmth and that made it hard to see what Becketts attraction to her was. To put it into context, she very much reminded me of Kristen Stewart from Twilight and maybe that was my problem and not the authors, so again I have to reiterate that this book wasn't a bad read at all.
Having said that, she did become so much more likeable by the last 25% of the book. In fact my entire view changed about this book as a whole and went from a story that was slow to get going, to one that I couldn't put down by the end, I just wish I'd felt that way a little earlier on.
 
Reviewed by Louise Dale
 
 
She’s waiting to die. . . . Corin Thompson is paralyzed by her obsession with mortality. Having lost both of her parents, she is terrified by the idea that she too will die young, and she loses control at any sign of illness. But when Corin connects with someone who has survived a very real brush with death, she begins to see the world in a whole new way.

He’s learning to live. . . . As Corin struggles under the weight of her neuroses, Beckett Kingsley is attempting to rebuild a life that feels all too temporary. With the ever-present threat of heart failure never far from his mind, he just wants to make the most of whatever time he has left. And that means pursuing the girl he never expected to find.

Together, Corin and Beckett finally learn to let go of their fears and take solace in everyday pleasures. Who knows what the future holds? After all, nothing lasts forever—the only promise they have is right now.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment