Monday 9 November 2015

Review: Give Me Your Answer True (The Fish Tales, #2) by Suanne Laqueur

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
Wow! That was a tough book to read in so many ways, but I mean that in a really good way, so please don't let that deter you.
This, the second book of the trilogy, is basically The Man I Love retold in Daisy's point of view and this alone had me doubting whether it could possibly be as good as the first. I often find these types of books add very little to the original. However, where this book succeeded, was probably because of the fact that there is such a long period of Daisy's life we knew very little about and because of what she went through and what I knew was to come, in some ways made it difficult for me emotionally.
It begins with Daisy reliving the day that finally turned her world upside down. And in many ways it was hard to relive everything leading up to this point and the years after. She is finally seeing a therapist, so a large portion was switching between certain periods of time.
At first I found myself thinking that I didn't really care what Daisy was going through, I loved Erik and nothing was going to change that. What happened though was I found myself empathising with her and wanting to shake some sense into Erik. I understood a lot more what led Daisy to make what was to be her biggest mistake.
Now whilst I didn't experience the same rush and scale of feelings as I did with book one, I did sense that this was much more than a retelling of a story.
By the end I was an emotional mess and I have to say I much preferred this ending to the first, if that could even be possible. Maybe that is because, selfishly I wanted more Erik and Daisy and most of this book was about Daisy and her relationship with the people in her life and how she dealt with what happened all those years ago, but the ending just did it for me and has again left me wanting the penultimate book three, that we sadly have to wait until January for.
I'm not totally sure what genre this series falls into, but my first thought is it's New Adult, but if you want a book that is so much more than a romance, I highly recommend you read these books because I can pretty much guarantee you'll be affected by these characters, just like me.
 
Reviewed by Louise Dale
 
 
"What I feel has no name..."

Suanne Laqueur's award-winning debut novel The Man I Love thrilled readers with its memorable characters and depth of emotion. Erik Fiskare's journey of love, recovery and forgiveness captivated hearts but also left questions unanswered. Now Daisy Bianco has a chance to tell her story.

It's been three years since a single lapse of judgment cost Daisy the love of her life. Erik was a conduit to her soul but now he's chosen a path of total disconnection, refusing to speak to her or acknowledge her betrayal. Alone and shattered, Daisy attempts to take responsibility for her actions while building her career as a professional dancer in New York City. But Erik's unforgiving estrangement proves too much for her strength. Plagued by flashbacks to the Lancaster shootings, she falls into a dangerous spiral of self-harm, cutting into her own skin as a means to atone. Only the timely appearance of an old friend, John "Opie" Quillis, saves her from self-destruction and gives her a chance to love again.

Laqueur skillfully weaves flashbacks to the college years with Daisy's present life. Supported by John's patient affection, she works to separate her evolution as an adult from the unresolved guilt and grief of her youth. As her professional accomplishments lift her out of depression, Daisy learns to hold onto her accountability without letting it become her identity. Years pass and she builds a beautiful life filled with dance and friends. Lovers come and eventually go, leaving her on her own with the old thought: Come back to me.

In this parallel narrative, Laqueur peels open the beloved characters from The Man I Love to reveal new and complex layers of vulnerability. The scars from the shooting are deep and pervasive within this circle of friends. Like Daisy, they are trying to evolve without being fully resolved. But when questions from the past go unheeded, you alone must find and give your answers true.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment