Friday 20 November 2015

Review: Carolina Hurricane (Drive Me Wild #1) by Gwendolyn Grace

****3.5 Stars****
 
 
This is the story of Harley, who has, by her own account, spent much of her life being let down by people. It seems her love life has been following the same pattern, until one day she decides she needs to move away and make a new start. She meets Fox who offers her a ride to Sea Whisper Island.
Sadly it took me a while to connect with Harley. She spent a large portion of the book, adamant that everyone, especially Fox would let her down even though it was clear Fox was perfect for her. The 'whole world is against me' thing got frustrating eventually and for such a short read I'd say she was like this for approximately 85% of the book.
From the beginning I loved Fox. He was mysterious at the beginning, with the perfect amount of Alpha male-ness, but at the same time he was caring and never gave Harley any indication that he would hurt her and I think this may be where my frustration with her stems from. However once Harley came to term with her issues, the chemistry between the couple came clear and I finally understood what Fox saw in her.
I would have loved a lot more of the antagonistic characters to have played a bigger role. One in particular seemed to appear as though she was going to create all sorts of problems for Harley and Fox and just as quickly she disappeared. Perhaps she'll have a more significant role later in the series.
There were parts of this book that I guessed quite early on, but overall I did enjoy it and even though book 2 focuses on a different couple, there is plenty of story to continue with.
All in all this was a good start to a series.
 
Reviewed by Louise Dale
 
 
I was standing in the middle of nowhere with no real destination in mind. There was only the dire need to disappear from Charleston. With my head tilted up to the gray sky and my eyes closed, I let the light droplets of rain fall onto my face. I’d reached a crossroads in my life and was trying to find a reason to keep going. I had no idea a hurricane was coming and fate would choose that moment for our paths to cross.

“Hey! You okay?” A voice called out to me in a deep southern drawl, pulling me out of my fog. “Can I give you a ride somewhere?”
I opened my eyes and found a pair of intense blue eyes staring back at me. His name was Fox. He had an irresistibly sexy grin, and judging by his fast car, a need for speed. His timing couldn’t have been more perfect. I was looking to start a little trouble, since it was what I did best and he seemed like a good target. After sharing an incredible night together, I quickly learned that Fox was more than he appeared and full of delicious surprises. He gifted my body with unbelievable pleasures and unlocked emotions that I’d wanted to keep hidden. When I pushed him away, he left claiming a piece of my soul.

I never imagined that getting into his car that day would start a transformation within me and forever change the course of my life. Fox challenged every rule I’d ever made by tearing down the carefully constructed barriers around my heart. I never intended to fall in love with him but how could I resist a man who was so different than I’d expected and more than I ever deserved? The grayness in my life caused by loss and betrayal was waging a storm within me; Fox was the anchor I needed to stop the inner turmoil and bring me back into the light.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment