Monday 22 May 2017

Review: Somebody Else's Sky (Something In The Way #2) by Jessica Hawkins


*****5 STARS*****



5 Million Stars

We fast forward to a year after book one ended and Manning is a year into his 2 year sentence for a crime he didn't commit. Other than that I can't tell you any more about the actual book because it's one of those books that anything said would be a spoiler. (Read book one first because that's an absolute must).

Tiffany has stood by Manning throughout his time inside and has actually tried to better herself or at least tried a little, but to be honest I still hate her guts and the sly crafty way she goes about things. I wanted to make a voodoo doll and torture her slowly and painfully.

Manning has gotten a lot stronger as a man both mentally and physically but then a stretch inside would do that to a person. He is torn in half but he just tries to do whats best for both Tiffany and Lake and believes that he's made the right choice. However on quite a few instances I wanted to hate him and scratch his eyes out for sticking his head in the sand.

Lake is growing up fast but still has that young immaturity to her, she wants things she can't have because both her Dad and her Sister like to control her life. I really wanted to see Lake stand up for herself and take or do something she wanted for a change. We do see her fighting ever so slightly towards the end of the book but I wanted to see her taking complete control of her life, not caring whether it hurts anyone in the process because all they have done is rule her with an iron rod and it's tearing her apart inside.

Right now I am still in a bad mood with this book and not because it wasn't good but simply because it didn't go the way I wanted it to so I am extremely grumpy and stamping my feet! My emotions were all over the place reading this because it has so much feeling. I was angry, sad, heartbroken and very indecisive with my thoughts. To date I think this is the only book that has evoked so much anger in me but that's not necessarily a bad thing, to me it simply means the author has done her job by evoking any sort of feelings from a reader. It's no secret that Jessica Hawkins likes to provoke a reader with angst and heartbreak whilst providing a story that has meaning in every single word and this one was no different and I have loved everything she has ever written. I was so hooked on this and couldn't put it down, my family were lucky they actually got fed at some point! I now need to wait on book 3 which I await with bated breath. I need so much of the thoughts revolving round my head to come to their conclusion and offer me solace. Congratulations Ms Hawkins you have funked me once again!




Reviewed by Claire Lamb 






If I closed my eyes, I could still see them—all blonde sunshine, ocean-blue eyes, and long limbs. The glint of Lake’s gold bracelet. Pink cotton candy on Tiffany’s tongue. My scenery may have changed from heaven to hell, but some things never would: my struggle to do right by both sisters. To let Lake soar. To lift Tiffany up. The sacrifices I made for them, I made willingly.

A better man would’ve walked away by now, but I never claimed to be any good. I only promised myself I’d keep enough distance. If I’d learned one thing from my past, it was that love came in different forms. You could love passionately, hurt deep, die young. Or you could provide the kind of firm, steady support someone else could lean on.

Lake was everything I wanted, and nothing I could ever have. I was nobody before I knew her and a criminal after. The way to love her was to let her shine—even if it would be for somebody else.

Book two in the Something in the Way series.












No comments:

Post a Comment