Thursday 15 October 2015

Review: Trigger (Pericolo) by Kirsty-Anne Still

****3.5/4 Stars****
 
 
This is a novella within The Pericolo Series that is based on a character we have had glimpses of in that story and while some characters do appear in this it isn't necessary to have read the series to enjoy this book.
I'm a little on the fence about this one, there was something just lacking for me to really accept Dante as the character he was portrayed to be a New York based Italian descent gangster, the language of the character just didn't fit for me I'm sorry to say and for me it distracted me from the story somewhat. However that said I loved the nasty side of Dante that the author portrayed and just wished it all tied up for me.
I loved the character of Ryleigh she was fierce from the start as she stepped into Dante's world and embraced her dark side. As the couple start on a path together that see's Dante just wanting to play with Ryleigh to see if he can break her after she invited herself into his life we learn of a shared background that means their lives have always been on a path that could possibly be destroying for them both.
I really enjoyed the way the relationship panned out and loved seeing Dante fall when he didn't realise he was and I love that Ryleigh despite her inner fears stood strong in her dealings with him. It really was a love hate relationship between the two edged with violence, murder and sex. I loved the last 10% of the book as the author kept us on edge right up to the end as to how their story played out and she played it out well.
My other concern is while the ARC stated the copy was unedited there was a lot of typos and errors that really interrupted the flow of reading and enjoyment of the story and I really do hope they were ironed out before publishing. Otherwise an enjoyable addition to The Pericolo Series.
 
Reviewed by Vikki Ryan
 

(Can be read as a standalone in the series)

I used to watch her through the lights. I watched as her body turned and twisted as she morphed into my siren.

I wanted her—I craved every ounce of Ryleigh Turner. But I knew once I had her, all I would do was corrupt every inch of her pretty little soul.

Valentinos aren't made for tales of love. We star in the horror stories you fear.

We're the monsters that make you scared to ever hope again.

It's time that she realises that.

****

He's watched me for months, given me every reason to allow my curiosity to start killing me slowly.

He makes the world melt away; he makes me want to throw all my inhibitions away and greet him personally. But every time the music ends and the lights lift, he vanishes, crushing my hopes.

Until one day, a moment of chance happens.

How does a man like Dante Valentino cope with a woman as messed up as me?

Easy.

I let him have every inch of my tainted soul.

***

Not all love stories have a beautiful start.
Some just need a perfect trigger.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment