Friday 9 October 2015

Review: A Lover's Lament by K.L. Grayson & B.T. Urruela

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
I've even slept on this review and still it's no clearer in my head of what to say, for my review to give this story justice.
Some of you may need to have your Kleenex ready.

We have Katie, she's just got through a traumatic event and a great loss. She's trying to find herself again, while letting go of the hurt.
Then we have Devin. He's a soldier in the Army.

These two were the perfect high school couple. Best friends turn to lovers. Something happened along the way and Devin left Katie to mend the pieces of her broken heart all alone. Then by either the wills of fate or the Big Man upstairs, Katie has the opportunity of reconnecting with Devin by way of a pen pal program.
How much of a second chance at love is fate ready to give these two??

Let me just say, I loved this book.
It starts out with Katie and Devin being in their teens and progresses through the next ten years.
The reader gets flashbacks of their past events as friends and lovers. I like the POV switches that give us the complete story.
I love the connection these two have. I love the letters (I found myself just as anxious as the characters to read the next one), the email, the phone calls. All the things most people take for granted.
We get to see the bonds and the real life struggles of our troops when overseas at war. And unfortunately everything Devin has going on through his mind and the things he's going through is as real life as it comes.
I can definitely relate to this book on a personal level. There are things that happened in my husband's time at war that he still won't talk about, along with the nightmares that never really do go away.

I know this review doesn't do this book justice, but without giving any spoilers away to all the nitty gritty, I hope I've convinced you to read A Lover's Lament. It's definitely one of my favorites this year. Besides who doesn't love a hot military man??
 
Reviewed by Amy Kormanik-Jones
 
Synopsis
 
In a matter of seconds my entire world changed, and it was in that moment that I stopped living and simply began to exist.

In my grief, I sent a letter to the first boy I ever loved. I hoped in writing it I’d find some peace from the nightmare I was living, some solace in my anger.

I didn’t expect him to write back. I wasn’t prepared for his words, and I certainly wasn’t ready for the impact this soldier would have on my life. A deep-rooted hate transformed into friendship, and then molded into a love like I’d never known before.

Sergeant Devin Ulysses Clay did what I couldn’t: he put the shattered pieces of my heart back together, restoring my faith in humanity and teaching me how to live again.

But now that I’m whole, I have a decision to make. Do I return to my life as I knew it and the fiancé I left behind, or do I walk away from it all for the only man to ever break my heart?

***

I’ve been living in hell, but you won’t hear me complain.

These men depend on me, as I do them, and this brotherhood is the only family I’ve ever known.

The Army saved me from a callous mother and a life on the wrong side of the tracks that was quickly spiraling out of control. So unlike most of the men in my platoon, going home wasn’t something I longed for.

I was content overseas, spending my days defending this country that gave me my life back. Fighting became my new normal … until her.

A letter from Katie Devora—a letter that I almost didn’t open. Her words put a fire back inside of me that I didn’t know I’d lost. She gave me hope during a time when I was fighting every day just to stay alive, and now it’s time I fight for her.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the Authors:


No comments:

Post a Comment