Wednesday 7 October 2015

Review: The Air He Breathes (Elements #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry

****4 Stars****
 
 
I loved this book and the characters, I fell for Tristan from the prologue alone, I loved the heart-breaking story that the author brought to life so eloquently and beautifully peppered it with many humorous moments too that I was laughing out loud to. I loved the complexity of the nature of Tristan & Elizabeth's relationship through their individual grief. So why not 5 stars, the ending was just too much of a curveball for me to take after the beauty of the rest of the book I just felt the twists and turns weren't necessary.
The story of Elizabeth and her daughter Emma is tragic and after returning back to her family home, she finally begins to acknowledge her husbands death. As with many small towns a lot has changed not least her neighbour. As Elizabeth reconnects with people with her past we are treated with lots of humour in this often heart-breaking read and I just loved her best friend Faye. I loved that despite her own grief Elizabeth was strong enough to stand up to the nasty townsfolk and be strong for her daughter and Tristan.
I loved the way Tristan's character was brought to us, completely broken with his bizarre behaviour and habits that have become his coping mechanism. It was lovely to see his character come back to life through the book as he slowly let Elizabeth and Emma in, his relationship with Emma was just beautiful. His flashbacks were so raw to read and his breakdown before he finally acknowledged his grief too.
I think the author did an amazing job with such a difficult subject matter and delivered such a beautiful story. The epilogue was just a joy to read especially after the final 10% of the book where things got a little crazy for me. But overall a lovely book that is one I have already been recommending.
 
Reviewed by Vikki Ryan
 
Synopsis
 
I was warned about Tristan Cole.

“Stay away from him,” people said.
“He’s cruel.”
“He’s cold.”
“He’s damaged.”

It’s easy to judge a man because of his past. To look at Tristan and see a monster.

But I couldn’t do that. I had to accept the wreckage that lived inside of him because it also lived inside of me.

We were both empty.
We were both looking for something else. Something more.
We both wanted to put together the shattered pieces of our yesterdays.

Then perhaps we could finally remember how to breathe.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the Author:


No comments:

Post a Comment