Tuesday 7 July 2015

Review: Violent Things (Chaos & Ruin #1) by Callie Hart

****4 Stars****
 
 
I can't tell you how happy I am to be revisiting Zeth and Sloane. I would strongly recommend you read the Blood & Roses, and Hells Kitchen books before even contemplating this series. There is a lot of references to those books, there are characters that also return in this book that could possibly confuse anyone has not read anything by Callie before.
I have to confess, I went into this book completely blind and had no concept of what the book was going to be about. We meet new characters as well as some old and at times I actually wasn't sure who the main protagonists were. Several chapters are told in Zeth and Sloanes point of view, but we are also introduced to a new character called Mason who also has chapters from his perspective. I'm pretty sure all will become clearer later on in the series.
I loved Mason from his first appearance, he is definitely dealing with lot of issues and the fact that he is trying so hard, despite difficult circumstances, makes him a character that has a tons of depth despite being only 23. The book does seem to portray him as someone beimg much younger, but that maybe down to the way Zeth sees him.
I did feel Zeth had mellowed a great deal and part of me wants the old, dark and dangerous Zeth back, but I have no doubt he's still lurking and he will make am appearance at some point.
To me, this book was more of a build up to a storyline, which I have no doubt will be just as enticing and gripping as Callie's previous books and in true Callie Hart fashion, this book left me wanting so much more.
 
Blurb
 
You’re never really out until you’re dead. That’s what the mob bosses, gunrunners and car thieves of Seattle will tell you, anyway.

Zeth Mayfair, ex mafia enforcer, has other ideas. Since falling for Sloane, he’s managed to turn her life upside down. Now, he’s determined to give her a stable, happy and, most importantly, safe life. If that means he has to sleep with one eye open and one hand on a shotgun, then that’s what he’ll do.

Mason Reeves is just looking for a way to take care of his sick sister. Since their mother left, things have been hard, and they’re only getting harder. Prescription meds don’t come cheap, and working as an auto mechanic only pays so well. If he wants to give Millie the life she deserves, he’s going to have to earn it with his fists. And who better to teach him how to fight than the guy who took down the biggest gangster in Seattle?

You can try to get out…

You can try to be good…

You can steer clear of trouble…

But it’s only a matter of time before trouble comes looking for you.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the Author:


No comments:

Post a Comment