Monday 27 July 2015

Review: Chained by Jaimie Roberts

*****4.5 Stars*****
 
 
What drew me to this book was the fact that it appeared to be a dark read. Now for much of the book I was starting to doubt whether this was as dark as I assumed, but WOW, the last third certainly meant there was no confusion that this book does 'exactly what it says on the tin'.
Most of the chapters began with a flashback. Chronologically, these appeared to be out of sequence but as the flashbacks occurred as part of Olivia's dreams, this made the irregularity perfectly acceptable.
I have to say, I didn't necessarily warm to Olivia's character at first. Despite the flashbacks into her past, I wasn't entirely sure as to what happened and as a reader was kept in the dark. She seemed to be under some kind of control by Uncle, who wasn't actually her Uncle, but we'll come to him in just a moment. Olivia was very much a contradiction. She seemed to be battling many demons from her past, yet her future self seemed to be bordering on saint like qualities, which portrayed her as selfless as I imagine a person can be. She definitely grew on me though, as her character gained more depth.
Kit, well what can I say about him? I'm a sucker for a hot homeless guy. There's always that air of vulnerability, but also the stubbornness to refuse any help when offered. I knew from the start there was more to Kit and I loved him from the beginning.
Now I cannot do this review without mentioning the Uncle who isn't Olivia's Uncle. For me, I think this name was a very clever decision, because there was definitely sexual intention from him and the fact that he was named as a family member made you hate him all the more. Olivia has been promised to Uncle, but she had been granted permission to live a relatively normal life until Uncle decided she must return to be with him. I was completely sickened by him. However, I have to admit at feeling slightly confused and wondering how certain scenes had me so hot under the collar. They were dirty and debauched and I for one friggin loved it.
I have to say this book, which by the way appears to be a standalone, was totally unique and for me there were only a few minor items stopped me from giving it the full five stars, but definitely a book I would recommend to the avid Dark/Erotic genre readers.
 
Blurb
 
After the devastating loss of her parents and subsequent depression, Olivia Brown decided a move from her parent’s family home in Cambridge to a house in London would give her the fresh start she so sorely needed.

Living off her inheritance, Olivia didn’t need to work, but she knew she needed something to make her feel like life was worth living. Painting was her one true love, but that wasn’t enough. So she started a part-time job in a bar, and the rest of the time she spent at a local soup kitchen, feeding the homeless. In the mornings, she bought hot beverages for her homeless friends, but there was one who never asked. This man, having the most facial hair she’d ever seen, the most captivating eyes she’d ever stared at, remained aloof. He never said a word to anyone, and never once looked her way. However, all this did was make Olivia want to find out more about this mysterious man hiding behind a face full of hair.

One perilous evening, her wish came true.

On the way back from working at the bar, Olivia was attacked. She screamed for help, relieved when her cries are answered...but surprised when she saw who her rescuer was. It was the eyes. It was the hair. It was none other than the mysterious homeless man.

That night, Olivia learned two things. One, his name was Kit, and two, Kit had skills… skills which didn’t fit a man living on the streets.

Day after day, Olivia slowly pushed the boundaries, coaxing out the man hiding behind the hair. Kit Chain wasn’t only trained like men she watched in movies, he was also the most beautiful. Bit by bit, Olivia managed to break down his walls, revealing secrets that would change her life. Secrets that would put both of them in terrible danger.

However, there was one thing about secrets...

Everyone had them.
 
WARNING: This is NOT a traditional love story. It contains disturbing subject matter, including themes of questionable consent for both male and female, as well as graphic sexual content. This is a work of fiction intended for a mature, 18+ audience only. The author neither endorses nor condones this type of behaviour.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the Author:


No comments:

Post a Comment