Thursday 8 December 2016

Review: Yours to Bare by Jessica Hawkins

*****5 Stars*****


Jessica Hawkins has a talent and that talent is putting her heart and soul into making a reader feel everything that's happening in her books. I'm not just talking about that knack of writing that you get with all good authors, but the knack to make the pages of a book come to life where you feel and breath along with the characters as well as turning the words on the page into that magical place where you lose yourself in the story.
We first met Finn in Slip of the Tongue where his heart was broken and he also broke hearts too. I admit I was one of those who was screaming abuse at all the characters in that book for their lack of understanding and compassion, however it still remains my favourite book in the series so far. Now back to Finn and Halston's story. Finn and Halston I believe were brought together by Fate. Halston has problems and Finn doesn't realise how far those problems go as in she has some sort of mental illness within herself but has also been led to believe things because she wasn't told or guided otherwise since her mother dies 10 yrs previously. Finn has his own issue's after everything involving his ex wife, Sadie and of course his daughter. The question is though is he ready to fall in love and start taking chances again and is Halston going to be able to make herself right in the world in order to make it work?
I really loved this book enough to give it 5 stars, but (yes there's a but coming) - But something is niggling at me enough to say it's missing that little something and I am still trying to figure out what that is. I was hoping Finn would get his own story after Slip Of The Tongue and Jessica has delivered which I will be eternally grateful for as I felt he was the outcast back then. Finn is complicated though and maybe that's whats niggling as I needed to know more on his inner self and who he was even back when he was married. On another note the sex was off the charts hot between Finn and Halston and some of the scenes would leave you fanning yourself. Halston is a bit of a broken character but you see development throughout the book that makes her journey more appeasing. I sincerely can't wait to see what Ms Hawkins has next for us as I just can't get enough.
This is a standalone, however I would suggest reading the first book to know who Finn is and why he is the way he is in this book.

Reviewed by Claire Lamb


Finn
No matter how cruel it’s been in the past, I’ve never been able to flip fate the bird. I’m a romantic at heart. So when fate drops a leather-bound journal at my feet, I know I should walk away.

I don't. I pick her up, bend her spine, spread her pages. From the first word, I’m a goner. The owner didn’t give me access to her most intimate desires, but I devour them anyway. Her private darkness, her candid, explicit poetry—it all goes down like warm milk. And from that point forward, I drink, eat, and sleep her.

Halston
I went to his apartment and let him take my picture. Just once, to see how it would feel. I’m not his to look at, to inspire, to touch, but when he watches me through his lens, it gives me a high I don’t want to come down from…

My journal is the one place I can be myself—as long as I can tie it up and put it away when I’m finished. But when Finn undoes the bow, he pulls strings that could unravel each of us.





No comments:

Post a Comment