Thursday 8 December 2016

Review: Beauty in the Ashes by Micalea Smeltzer

****3.5 Stars****


I don't even know where to start with this review. I both loved and hated this book and I don't know which is greater. I loved the original cover but it is extremely misleading along with the blurb so I understand why the author decided to change it. The new cover is just as gorgeous yet more appropriate for the story.
This story was angsty and dark and emotional and had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through but it's the last 20-25% that I didn't really like. That ending came out of nowhere and it was in no way hinted at in the blurb. I felt extremely blindsided even though I kind of understand the situation. I loved Sutton and Caelan and was extremely emotionally invested in their relationship. I loved the slow build-up, the emotion, the despair, the beauty, the sadness, and heartbreak that the author brought to the story. I believed every word and felt every emotion and then I felt a little let down at that ending even though it was kind of bittersweet.
After a tragic heartbreaking start, I was immediately captivated and drawn in to the story. I felt instantly connected to Caelan and he stole a piece of my heart. I felt for his every struggle, torment, guilt, and heartbreak and it just broke my heart all that he had to endure. And through her horrific backstory I was made to care for and love Sutton. I became dedicated to these two broken people I shared their ups and downs, happiness, and tears. I was completely invested in them till about 80% in when I was blindsided by what unfolded. I still love Caelan but I became less connected to Sutton.
This book was truly outstanding, emotional, and beautifully written. It had its fair share of beautiful moments as well as the sad and tragic ones. I love this author and I will continue to read and one click her books but this book was sadly just not the perfect one for me.


2016 Re-release Edition. Newly edited and now includes epilogue. 


Standalone Dark Contemporary Romance 

Some stories are a fairytale...but this isn't one.

Caelan Gregory’s life fell apart the night he went home and opened the door to find his whole family murdered. Since then, his life has held no meaning. He’s angry. He’s bitter. He’s barely human anymore. There’s nothing left to remind him of the straight A student, and football quarterback he once was…but he wasn’t a good person then, and he’s certainly not a good person now. He’s retreated into a world where all that exists is numbness and his passion for painting. 

When Sutton Hale moves into the apartment across the hall from Caelan she’s not prepared for her reaction to him. Something in his broken blue eyes calls to her—after all she’s always had an irrational need to fix everything. 

But Caelan doesn’t do relationships or feelings. He does drugs and alcohol. However, he can’t ignore his desire to get to know the raven-haired woman across the hall.

Two broken souls trying to mend one another. 

But not everything can be fixed.
In the end, Caelan and Sutton will have to learn that there is beauty in the ashes.



Amazon UK - http://amzn.to/2hi7viL 
Amazon USA - http://amzn.to/2h5YwF1


No comments:

Post a Comment