Tuesday 6 December 2016

Review: Nico (Ruin & Revenge #1) by Sarah Castille

*****4.5 Stars*****


This was an excellent start to a new series from Sarah Castille, it's a mafia set story full of violence, vengeance and wanting something you can't have. I've read a few mafia stories but I was particularly impressed with this one. I found it to be very in depth of the life and covered the politics of what it means to be a capo really well. It was very much as I imagine the mafia to really be like and not an over-romanticised version of it.

Nico is the bastard son of the now deceased previous Don of the Toscani family. He's a capo set on getting revenge on his father's killer. His father was "whacked" by the rival Cordano family which caused a blood fuel between the two families. Enter Mia Cordano, the daughter of the Don of the Cordano family. She's everything a mafia princess is not supposed to be. She's fiercely independent, not at all meek and determined to escape the mafia life. Unfortunately for her, her father has other plans for her future.
Nico finds Mia irresistible and even though she doesn't fit into his plans he can't control his raging desire for her. The chemistry between these two is so intense, you can see that right from the get go, but being from rival families it was never going to be a smooth sailing relationship.
I really enjoyed this book, it's a mafia must read! And Sarah Castille is an author that I firmly believe doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She's a brilliant writer and her stories are gritty and intense and suck you right into them. Her MC series is one of the best I've read so when I found out she was doing a mafia series (MC and mafia are my top two favourite sub-genres of romance) I was super excited and she didn't let me down with this book, it met all my expectations and more. I'm so looking forward to this book being expanded into a series, I believe Luca's story is next, he's a very intriguing character that seems to be fighting his own share of demons. But the one side character that really stood out to me was Ben. This book was unusual in the way that it wasn't just dual POV with the two main characters, it also had some parts written in Ben's POV. I'm not sure if Sarah Castille is intending to bring him to the forefront by writing his own book or if there is even more of his story to tell but I hope there is!


Reviewed by Steph Lewis


A dangerous proposal


Las Vegas Mafia boss, Nico Toscani, is used to getting what he wants, whether it is having the City of Sin under his rule or a beautiful woman in his bed. But when he meets his match in the gorgeous, headstrong Mia Cordano, the daughter of a rival crime lord, all bets are off. . .

Sexy computer hacker, Mia, struggles to break free of her ruthless father’s Mafia ties…but she can’t resist the powerful and seductive Nico, who will stop at nothing to possess her. With their families locked in a brutal war for control of the city, Mia and Nico enter into a forbidden game. Will they surrender to the passion that burns between them—and risk tearing apart their families? Or will Nico be forced to betray the only woman who sets his blood on fire? 






No comments:

Post a Comment