Tuesday 19 April 2016

Review: Dirtiest Secret (S.I.N. #1) by J. Kenner

****3.5 Stars****

For me this book, started out so well. Just the opening to a book that I like, but after the prologue and the first couple of chapters, it seemed to lose momentum.
This book starts out 17 years ago when Dallas and Jane were abducted and the details of this kidnapping and what they both had to endure is explained throughout.
The character details, especially for the secondary characters, were a little too brief at times and it was often hard to understand who was who and how they fit into the story. The family trees at first confused me, although that did eventually become clear.
Individually, I liked the main characters, Dallas Sykes and Jane Martin, but together some may find their coupling a little to much to handle. Dallas came across as a total player, which is pretty much the point to the book and Jane appeared to be the more stable of the two.
There is a definite pushing of boundaries with this book, but I for the most part, was able to look past that.
As for the sex scenes, there seemed to be more masturbation than sex itself and for me it often distracted me from the couples chemistry. There is a sort of reason why this is the case, but I would have liked a little more from the sex scenes if I'm honest, especially having read and loving the Stark Trilogy.
On the whole, I feel there's so much more to this story, but my concern is that, by the next book, I will have forgotten many of the important details especially some of the characters.
For me, J Kenner had the added pressure of giving us a couple to come close to the dynamics of Nikki Fairchild and Damien Stark and sadly I just didn't think this book achieved that, but still there were some good moments in this book and I really do hope things pick up in the next book.
Reviewed by Louise Dale

It was wrong for us to be together, but it was even harder to be apart.  
The memory of Dallas Sykes burns inside of me.

Everyone knows him as a notorious playboy, a man for whom women and money are no object. But to me, he’s still the one man I desperately crave—yet the one I can never have.

Dallas knows me better than anyone else. We bear the same scars, the same darkness in our past. I thought I could move on by staying away, but now that we’re drawn together once more, I can’t fight the force of our attraction or the temptation to make him mine.

We’ve tried to maintain control, not letting ourselves give in to desire. And for so long we’ve told ourselves no—but now it’s finally time to say yes.




No comments:

Post a Comment