Thursday 14 April 2016

Review: Calico by Callie Hart

*****4.5 Stars*****
 
 
Having been accustomed to Callie's series of books, it was such a refreshing change to read a standalone from her.
Here we have a story of star crossed lovers. Coralie walked away from Callan 12 years ago and with so much history between the ex couple, this book was destined to be incredibly emotional and boy was it ever.
This book was unlike anything she has released under the Callie Hart name and at times it had a very Young Adult genre feel to it. However, Callan and his take charge attitude in the bedroom definitely made this book more suitable for adults only. The book also does touch on a particularly sensitive subject and one particular scene I did find incredibly harrowing but at the same time it was sensitively written and that, I can only put down to such an incredible writing talent.
Coralie for me was quite a tough cookie to get a read on. She kept her cards so close to her chest and only as the book progresses do we get to know why she walked away from Callan all those years ago, because quite frankly, as a reader I found it difficult to grasp why she would have done such a thing.
Normally I get frustrated with books that have entire chapters that focus on the past, but in this case I actually would have loved to know a little more of Coralie and Callan's early years. In fact there was a few things I would have loved to have been a little more in depth. I kind of wanted Rae or Ben to have more of a role and certain loose ends I did feel needed tying that bit more, but just like me, I'm sure you will fall in love with the characters, especially Callan and the beautiful, emotional story even more.
 
Reviewed by Louise Dale
 
 
Coralie

Twelve years ago, I ran to stay alive.


Port Royal, South Carolina, was my home. I was born there. I fell in love there. And I nearly died there. I never thought I’d go back. Now, after so many years, I have to return to bury the man who made my life a living hell. Some nights, I used to cry myself to sleep, praying my father would die. Other nights were different. Other nights, there was him.

Callan Cross.

My first confidante. My first kiss. My first love. My first everything: Callan was the glue that held me together when everything else was falling apart. He was my savior. He was there for me whenever I needed him…

Until he wasn’t.
Every night, I’ve seen the love of my life in my sleep.
I just never thought I’d have to face him again.


Callan

Twelve years ago, I f*#@ed up big time.


Living life through a camera lens is sometimes easier than dealing with it head on. Scratch that. It’s always easier. For over a decade, I’ve been a master of my art, taking photographs all over the world. Yet despite all of the countries I’ve visited, the amazing things I’ve seen, the beautiful women I’ve screwed, my heart has remained in pieces.

Coralie’s the only woman I’ve ever loved, will ever love. And I’m determined to show her that we’re meant to be together. Even if it means unearthing the bones of the past in the process.
A lifetime and a thousand miles have stood between us.
Now, there’s no length of time I won’t wait, no distance I won’t travel, in order to make her mine.
  
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment