Thursday 17 December 2015

Review: Stain by Francette Phal

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
This is such a sweet and sorrowful tale that skirts the edges of darkness and although there are certainly sensitive subjects that are touched upon, it doesn't quite cross all the way over for me (which is NOT a criticism).
Maddox has been through the ringer. Handed a life most wouldn't live through, he's come out the other side but he's anything but unscathed. He harbours such anger and bitterness that he sees no happy future for himself. Content with living his life untouched and walking the line between legal and illegal, the last thing he wants is a human connection.
Aylee has only just regained a tiny grain of freedom but even that is fleeting. Hiding from the world, she's merely existing. Every day is a fight to survive, to protect herself and to keep the brokenness within a secret.
Maddox is a fantastic character. I'm sure you'll love him as much as I did. You can't help but be drawn to his darkness, while wanting him to find a sliver of light.
But when darkness meets shattered pieces, will either of them recognise what lies within the other? Will they care? Can they survive?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Its well written and draws you in easily. It's a quick read (standalone) that you're sure to devour just as quickly as I did.
 
Reviewed by Vivienne Kauffer
 
 
"You're like the sun...and I'm the stupid moon. Always chasing after you."

I didn't know it was possible to fall so deeply into someone. To drown so strongly into their bottomless depths coming up for air was unfathomable. Until he comes along, with his sun-hot radiance, and eclipses the candle that is me. He's Lucifer before the fall, beautiful but the devil is in the way he looks at me. In the way his touch brands his name across every inch of my skin. His kisses possess my soul in the most sinful of ways.

Maddox Moore is my beginning and my end. Protector, friend, and lover—he's become my sole religion. At his side I become fearless, in his arms I burn to cinders, and in worshiping him I lose myself and discover the person he sees in me. But nothing is forever. Moments are ephemeral. No matter how much you want something life inevitably reminds you that you can't have it.

I'm damaged. He's broken. We're both covered in stains. Stains that make it impossible for us to hold onto each other.
 
 
 
 


1 comment: