Sunday 13 December 2015

Review: Sex in Numbers (S.I.N. Rock Star Trilogy #1) by S.R. Watson & Shawn Dawson

****3.5 Stars****
 
 
At first glance I thought here's a book by two authors I've never come across before, however I quickly realised who Shawn Dawson was and it is clear that he was the very image of Diesel, lead singer of the up and coming band, Sex In Numbers, just look at the cover and that's your man. Now believe me, while that definitely isn't a bad image to have in your head, I did wonder whether it would work. Was it going to be just a bit too egotistical for my taste? In actual fact it wasn't and in all fairness, I quickly switched off from the Shawn/Diesel comparisons and Diesel became his own character. Yes he was a complete jerk for much of the book, if I'm honest, but I am a sucker for a fictional guy I love to hate so that kind of worked for me.
The band is made up of four members, Diesel, Xander, Gable and Keyser. Lourdes, Xanders step sister, comes to stay with the band at their lake house and it's there she meets Diesel. Her first thought is that he is someone she should steer clear of, especially due to his promiscuity, but Lourdes doesn't think he will even notice her. But how wrong she is, because Xander does notice, but he sees her as nothing more than someone he wants to have sex with and that is something that definitely isn't on the cards for Lourdes.
We know that Diesel has serious issues when it comes to relationships, but I'm still not sure whether that reason, which we do eventually discover, is enough to warrant his manwhore ways. But I went with it and found myself quite drawn to him as a character. There's a little twist in the story, which I did guess earlier in the book, but I'm not really sure where the authors are going with that particular angle or how it came about, so we shall see what happens.
Lourdes was a little more complex. She hides behind black baggy clothes, wearing thick dark make up and has an aversion to men in general, but for me her journey and transisitions in this book didn't feel believable. One minute she won't even wear a swimsuit, even in the scorching hot heat and then after a quick word from her friend she's suddenly wearing clothes that show cleavage and barely cover anything. We do learn that the events leading to Lourdes' issues are pretty serious, so I would loved to have felt more emotion from that.
I cannot write this review without mentioning a little pet hate of mine. Now whilst this is more than likely a personal issue of mine and may not be a problem for some people, I have a distinct problem with using terms such as 'cray cray'.
Now whilst I felt a distinct lack of emotion from particular events, I did feel that a lot of time and content was taken up detailing what I can only class as trivial things, such as how Diesel and Lourdes are cooking Chicken Cacciatore. The show Elementary features a lot and it is clear that one or both of the authors are a fan of the show. The full name of the bike Ducati Multistrada 1200 S isn't necessary and I feel not something someone would say to someone who knew nothing about motorbikes. I also don't need to know specifics of someone's food order at a restaurant, although I'm sure a white pie with fennel sausage, onion, ricotta, and provolone is delicious, to me these details felt like gap fillers and added very little to the story.
I have been completely undecided on what to rate this book, because on one hand there are some issues that I feel let this book down, but I also felt that 3 stars just doesn't do it justice because at the very heart of this book is a very good story and yes I did feel there were some similarities between it and another very well known book about a fictional rock band, although this could just be coincidental. Do I want to know what happens next for Lourdes and Diesel? Well the answer is simply YES.
 
Reviewed by Louise Dale
 
 
The name is Diesel Beck and I’m a fucking rock god…or so I’m told. When I get the mic in my hand, women fall to my feet. The sound of my voice is enough to make them wet their panties. Women line up for a chance to fuck me—for a chance to claim me, but I can’t be tamed. My predilection to sex is depraved and I offer no apologies. I rock hard and fuck harder. I’ve never met a woman I couldn’t conquer …until her.

Lourdes Drake walks into my life like a fucking hurricane. She is the sister of my band mate Xander and she is going to be staying with us at the lake house this summer while we work on our music. Her darkness beckons me. I see through the image she desperately tries to project. She hates everything that I stand for, but she has no clue what I’m capable of. She is supposed to be off limits, but her rebellious nature makes my cock jump with excitement. Finally a challenge that I’m more than willing to accept. I will bend her to my will. I won’t stop until I have her complete submission. Consequences be damned.

Get in and get out. That’s the challenge. My dick accepts.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment