Monday 28 December 2015

Review: First Touch (First and Last #1) by Laurelin Paige

*****4.5 Stars*****
 
 
Dear Laurelin Paige,
I am not your friend right now! Why, you may ask? Well after that ending, it's because I have to wait until book 2 comes out.
Just when I thought I had this book worked out, you go and throw in a twist that throws a complete spanner in the works.
I'm led to believe that book 2 is out June 2016, so please please please can you please make time move forward until then?
Yours sincerely
A Desperate Reader
I'm not going to explain what this book is about as I feel the synopsis explains it all. I will say though that this book was quite slow to build. I wasn't sure if I liked the characters, but i do have an affinity to books where I love to hate the main guy and this one is no exception. Reese to me was a complete A-Hole for a lot of this book, but then he'd go and do something that made me love him again. By the end though I was head over heels, but I have a feeling his badness hasn't completely disappeared and I'm hoping it makes an appearance again in the next book.
Emily, was a weird one for me. On one hand I had absolutely no connection to her sexual preferences. She is naturally submissive, something which I'm not, but it was her extreme masochistic tendencies that had me so far removed from her as a character and wondering how anyone could be so drawn to that lifestyle to the extreme that she was. It was also partly why I didn't like Reese, but when all is said and done they were perfect for each other. He loves to dominate. I will say this though about Emily. I was sympathetic to how she was also blighted by her past and this certainly does explain her preferences now. But my god that girl needs limits. My heart can't take it.
Half the time I was cursing Amber, Emily's missing friend. All I wanted was for Emily and Reese to live happily ever after from the start, but then that wouldn't have made the book as good as it was and being the glutton for punishment that I am, I loved the uncertainty.
Now you may wonder how it is possible to love a book where the characters are not always likeable and I have to point out that Emily and Reese are so far removed from Alayna and Hudson (Fixed series) that at times it felt that this book was written by a completely different author, but no less brilliant. What I absolutely loved about this book was the mystery, the suspense, the fact that Reese wasn't all hearts and flowers and what really did it for me was that ending. Wow! Is all I'm saying.
I really had a sense that Laurein didn't hold back with this book and has given us something really gritty and raw and definitely a lot darker than what I've come to expect from her as an author and I for one love that.
 
Reviewed by Louise Dale
 
 
When Emily Wayborn goes home to visit her mom while on hiatus from her hit TV show, she receives a voicemail from her former best friend, Amber. Though the two were once notorious party girls, they haven't spoken in years. Although the message might sound benign to anyone else, Amber uses a safe word that Emily recognizes, a word they always used to get out of sticky situations during their wild days. And what's more chilling than the voicemail: it turns out that Amber has gone missing.

Determined to track down her friend, Emily follows a chain of clues that lead her to the enigmatic billionaire Reeve Sallis, a hotelier known for his shady dealings and play boy reputation. Now, in order to find Amber, Emily must seduce Reeve to learn his secrets and discover the whereabouts of her friend. But as she finds herself more entangled with him, she finds she's drawn to Reeve for more than just his connection to Amber, despite her growing fear that he may be the enemy. When she's forced to choose where her loyalty lies, how will she decide between saving Amber and saving her heart?
  
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment