Wednesday 2 December 2015

Review: Lucky Penny by L.A. Cotton

*****4.5 Stars*****
 
 
When Penny was 12, her parents died in a car accident, with no other family to take care of her, she was sent to a group foster home where she met Blake. They quickly became friends and helped each other cope with life in the home. Friendship soon turned to first love for the young couple and they made plans for the future when they "aged out" and were free from the home.

After leaving the foster home, Penny struggled to let anyone get close to her, she didn't really have any friends and had one or two failed relationships. She promises herself that she will try to let people in and decides to work at Camp Chance, a summer camp for children in foster care, she hopes to help children who are having a similar upbringing to what she had. One thing that she didn't expect though was seeing a face from her past.

I love this authors style of writing in this story, the present POV was from Penny and the past POV was from Blake. I don't think I've read a story written like this before but I really enjoyed it.

I'm not sure if there will be a follow up to this story but I would love to read more of Penny and Blake's story.
 
Reviewed by Danielle Meredith
 
 
I was his lucky Penny. He was my light in the dark, hope in despair. Our bond was one of survival, friendship... first love.

But then we were ripped apart and Blake Weston became the memory I turned to when everything else in my life fell apart.

Seven years later, a summer working at Camp Chance is supposed to be my fresh start. Beautiful scenery and the chance to better the lives of foster children - kids like me. But when my eyes land on him across the fire, time stands still and feelings come rushing back to the surface. I thought I'd moved on, tucked him away in my heart. One look into his soulful blue eyes and I know I'm wrong. Blake Weston can heal the broken parts of me. Restore my hope. Love me.

It's our second chance. A sign we are supposed to be together.

Isn't it?

I was twelve when I survived the accident that killed my parents. Fourteen when I survived the devil. And sixteen, when I survived a heartbreak of the worst kind.

But in my twenty-three years, Blake Weston might just be the first thing I won't survive.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment