Thursday 9 March 2017

Review: Unforgiven by Ruth Clampett

****4 Stars****



Ruth Clampett is a new author for me and though I have some issues with this book, overall I enjoyed the book as a whole and will definitely give her other books a read. I understand this is the authors first step into the M/M genre and I have to say I think she has done a pretty good job. Though I think it is fair to point out that the book does also contain some M/F scenes that may deter some from reading as they like their M/M to be just that but they are critical to the overall story IMO. 

I’ll be honest and say that initially I wasn’t feeling it with this book and especially with Dean and his attitude, some may also be offended by his choice of words given that this is a M/M book but I’ve come across similar in the genre before. However, it was Jason that kept my interest enough to push through and continue and I am glad I did. 

This is an emotional and at times heartbreaking friends to lovers story between a closeted gay student and his very straight lifelong best friend and roommate. Initially we are met with Dean and his outrage at stumbling across the fact that Jason is gay and I seriously wanted to throat punch him a fair few times not only for his thoughts and reactions but the betrayal of his friend initially. I was a bit eye rolling at his sudden about turn but I’m glad he did because Jason needed him to be more. 

Poor Jason brought me to tears more than once in this book with the spiral he took in having to confront his fears about his sexuality and the impact it will have on his life to be open with himself and those around him. Along with the memories of abuse and mistreatment that came alongside of finally acknowledging his true self. These may be scenes that some will find upsetting and a trigger but they are done in a fitting manner. Dean definitely redeemed himself in the end with the way in which he stepped up again and again for Jason.

Overall I enjoyed the book and in the end I was rooting for both of these characters to get their HEA and I will be looking out for more in this genre from this author.

Reviewed by Vikki Ryan 



Would you live a lie to hold onto the one you love?

Dean and Jason are best friends, like brothers since boyhood, now architecture students and college roommates. They’ve always had each other’s back, but when one walks in on the other with another man, everything changes. How do you explain to your best friend that he’s the one you’ve always wanted, that until now your life has been a lie?

Desperation and shame are two dirty words that run through Jason’s veins. He carries the scars from a wayward priest who stole his innocence and left him shattered. Meanwhile for years he’s watched Dean pursuing woman after woman, as his own heart slowly breaks.

When their world blows apart, they learn the powerful bond between them has more fire than either understood. Can two broken souls find the light in their darkness and come together to make a whole, or will sins of the past be forever unforgiven?

This standalone is a M/M love story with graphic sex. Trigger warning.


Amazon USA:  http://amzn.to/2m7n3bY




No comments:

Post a Comment