Thursday 23 March 2017

Review: Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

****3.5 Stars****



Sometimes I lie is a debut novel for Alice Feeney and in my opinion it was a good read but not without it's flaws.

Amber is in a coma after a devastating car crash but the question is how did it happen and who was involved. The story is told through Amber's mind as even though she can't open her eyes or move she can hear everything being said in the room. It flashes back and forward from past to present in 3 different time frames so if you don't keep pace it's easy to loose track of the story. Some of the twists and turns are cleverly written but for me some of it became confusing and didn't right itself until further in the story. The story itself is gripping and has the element of surprise when the plot twists answers are revealed towards the end. The characters themselves were hard to connect with as I feel apart from Amber their background wasn't apparent or explained in enough detail to give the reader enough profile of the characters.

There was a couple of really sensitive parts in the book with Amber and her former boyfriend from college which I thought could have done with a little more empathy in the aftermath of the events that took place but the actual events themselves were well written.

The suspense element was surprisingly gripping and gave no indication of who did what making it hard for me to guess the outcome and for that reason the book totally won me over.

Overall a pretty good read that will have fans wanting more of this author's writing which I believe will improve with each book she writes.



Reviewed by Claire Lamb 



My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:

1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

Unnerving, twisted and utterly compelling, you won’t be able to put this new thriller down. Set to be the most talked about book in 2017, it’s perfect for fans of Behind Closed Doors, The Girl on the Train and The Widow.











No comments:

Post a Comment