Wednesday 1 March 2017

Review: Grip by Kennedy Ryan

*****5 Stars*****


If by the end of the year this book doesn't make my top ten reads of 2017, there's something wrong. Put it this way, it's going to take a lot to surpass this book in my eyes. Or if someone asks for book recommendations, then this is the book I would suggest. I honestly feel that much about it.

If I thought Flow, the prequel was good, this one blew it out the water, although the two books blended seemlessly.

This book is set 8 years after Flow and it was clear the characters had matured. Bristol in particular. She had that hard edge to her that can only come with time and life's events. Despite loving Bristol in Flow, she was in all honesty a bit of a bitch in this book to begin with, but I feel she needed to be in order for the book to work. Her strength and growth throughout this book made it both frustrating at times (in a really good, 'I want to throw my Kindle at the wall' kind of way) and incredible to read.

Grip, what can I say about him? He was absolutely perfect once again. This time however, he just oozed sex and god only knows how Bristol was able to resist him. But what really struck me about him and what really got to me the most, was the struggles he endured over the years, just because of the colour of his skin. And the prejudices from people of all races because at the end of the day this is about two people who fell in love and simply destined to be together.

I'm not going to go into what happens in the story, because I believe you should experience this book with a fresh perspective, but I really do hope that it affects you the way it has me.

Reviewed by Louise Dale


Resisting an irresistible force wears you down and turns you out.
I know.
I’ve been doing it for years.
I may not have a musical gift of my own, 
but I’ve got a nose for talent and an eye for the extraordinary.
And Marlon James – Grip to his fans – is nothing short of extraordinary.
Years ago, we strung together a few magical nights, but I keep those memories in a locked drawer and I’ve thrown away the key.
All that’s left is friendship and work.
He’s on the verge of unimaginable fame, all his dreams poised to come true.
I manage his career, but I can’t seem to manage my heart.
It’s wild, reckless, disobedient.
And it remembers all the things I want to forget.







No comments:

Post a Comment