Saturday 5 March 2016

Review: Talon (Uncompromising #1) by Sybil Bartel

****3.5 Stars****
 
 
I really really really wanted to love this book and I think I could have if I had known that Talon was a spin off from another series the author wrote. I felt like situations and side characters that were brought up were glossed over as if I should have already known about them. To be honest, I didn't really get into this book till around 60%. The first half of the book had a lot going on but I feel like it didn't really connect and it didn't all come together for me till that last ~40%.
And the characters....I really loved Talon, but Nicole (Siren) really got on my nerves! To me, she was a very weak character! I get that under the circumstances she was just scared and thought that was the only choice she had but it still irked me to no end. She ran and sought out Talon after being beaten and stabbed by her boyfriend. You'd think this means that she trusts him to help her but the moment her boyfriend finds her she immediately runs back to him. Towards the end of the book, I kind of understood her actions and why she did what she did but I think she should have trusted Talon more instead of jerking him around. And she also keeps vital information from Talon throughout the whole book and I don't understand why Talon kept running after her regardless that she was totally honest with him.
Talon was a very strong character. He lost his wife two years before and has been struggling with his grief over it ever since. He is an ex Marine medic who rushes to stitch up Siren when she comes to him bleeding and bruised. Their connection is instant and their were some seriously hot scenes between the two of them! He is definitely an alpha males and does whatever is necessary to protect Siren and keep her safe.
It says it can be read as a standalone but we first meet these characters in Sybil Bartel's Unchecked series and a lot of them and their situations are discussed in Talon's story. I think I would have loved this book more if I had read that series first. On that note, I still look forward to reading the next book in the series which is about one of the side characters, Neil.
 
Reviewed by Ashley Ziegler
 
 
Talon

I surf.
I fuck.
I pretend to smile.

Two years ago my life was perfect, until it wasn’t. I scattered my wife’s ashes then walked away from the Marines. I didn’t think I had anything left to lose.

I was wrong.

The blond showed up at my surf shop, beaten and stabbed. I did what I was trained to do—I stitched her up. I didn’t have a clue who she was and I told myself I didn’t care. Until they came looking for her.

I swore I’d take my last breath before I let anyone else hurt her except I didn’t know she was keeping a deadly secret. Now I had two choices, her life or mine.

Marriage and combat taught me the same thing—I was no one’s hero. And I was about to prove it.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment