Tuesday 9 June 2015

Review: The Excess Trilogy by Angelica Chase

Opulence (The Excess #1)
 
*****5 Stars*****
 
 
This book starts as it means to go on. It's highly erotic and at times the sex scenes may be a little much for some, but personally I loved that about it. Yes there is a quite a lot of sex and if I met Nina in real life, I would be thinking something along the lines of serial sex addict, but quite frankly, for such a short read (I probably read the book in around two hours) there is a brilliant story and it's also well written.
I must also point out that anyone who has read the author's Sexual Awakenings series, there is a slight connection, but it can be read separate to that, although this series does follow that one in the timeline sense.
Nina became, almost overnight, a multi millionaire. She had wealth beyond her wildest dreams, but she just didn't seem to fit the world she found herself in. That is until she meets and falls in love with Devin, but even he wasn't a man to be trusted.
In this book Devin appears to have very few morals. The fact that he is cheating on his wife with Nina. Although it seems to get around that by the fact he despises his wife, who is really not a nice woman and it appears she has some sort of hold over him.
Nina is done with Devin and there is one man who might just help her get over him. Aiden.
Now unlike some love triangle books, I ended this one not actually having a preference for either man and loving them both equally. Yes, Devin was completely flawed, but deep down there is something in him that makes me think he's not as bad as he's portrayed. Aiden seems perfect, but will that last?
By the end of this book I will admit I immediately had to dive straight into the next book.
Anyway, a brilliant start to a series.
 
 
Blurb
 
When I was twenty-eight years old, I wrote my own winning lottery ticket. A simple idea thrust me onto the fast track to wealth, and into a world I had only ever dreamt about. I submerged myself in the unfamiliar, a life that seemed all too alluring … until it lost its appeal.

I made my fortune, built my castle, and then exiled myself within its comforts once reality set in.

Far too late, I discovered I was drowning in a sea of hungry sharks. Given the choice to sink or swim, I chose the latter … and it cost me everything.

Devin McIntyre, the most dangerous shark of them all, was the last nail in my naïve coffin. His beautiful smile and amazing cock tainted me in ways I could have never imagined.

I craved him. I needed him. I loved him.

Miserable with the outcome of my prosperity, I set out to change what disgusted me most—the first decision being to rid myself of Devin. Little did I know that taking that first step would make me a slave to a man far more tempting … or that my addiction to Devin would threaten to ruin it all.


If you are not a fan of cursing, erotic and extremely explicit sex, cheating, immoral behavior, dysfunction or sexual scenarios that may make you feel uncomfortable this is not the series for you. FILTHY EROTIC ROMANCE
 
Buy Links:
 
Reverence (The Excess #2)
 
*****5 Stars*****
 
 
Unlike book one, which was told completely in Nina's point of view, this one is also told from Devin's perspective and as I predicted, he isn't necessarily the man he's made out to be. It is clear that his behaviour towards Nina is fueled by some kind of hold his wife has over him.
In this book, which again probably took around two hours to read, Nina wonders if there's a connection between Devin and Aiden and lots more of the puzzle is revealed. It centres more around the question, Who is Aiden?
Just like Nina, I found myself wondering who she actually could and couldn't trust.
As with the first book, the sex is highly erotic, Nina is even more sex crazed than ever and I'm pretty sure I've never read a book where the character has had such a voracious sexual appetite.
Despite my initial lack of preference for either guy, I found myself gradually moving towards Devin and hoping that he would be the one to finally end up with Nina, although Aiden, for me wouldn't have been a particularly bad choice either.
Once again this book left me wanting more with no option but to dive straight into the third book.
 
 
Blurb
 
Devin
I was a prick, but I never hurt anyone that didn’t deserve it.
Well … until Nina.
I was a very smart man who made a very bad decision, but the mistakes I was paying for were not just my own.
My behavior toward her, no matter how unforgivable, had always been about protecting her—from me, from my wife, and from the long line of mistakes I would never be able to rectify.
Nina was finally done with me, and I knew it was for the best. I could finally keep her safe from depraved people like me. I needed her as far removed from the situation as possible. I tried to force myself to be content with her decision to move on … until I found out whom she was moving on with.


Nina
My unyielding love for a corrupt man might have cost me the affection of someone worthy.
With Aiden, I had finally discovered a version of myself I could tolerate; then he dropped a one word bomb that ruined my new sense of self. Instead of listening to my voice of reason, I blocked it out, until it became a scream that refused to be ignored.
Now, I would give anything to quiet that voice.
 
Buy Links:
 
Hindrance (The Excess #3)
 
*****5 Stars*****
 
 
Well I really wasn't expecting that outcome and for that alone, I am giving this book 5 stars although I did feel that the ending was somewhat left slightly unfinished, but maybe that has to do with the fact that Taylor's story is coming next.
The connection to the Sexual Awakenings series is clear in this book and I love that we got to meet Vi in book 2, even though I didn't realise it at the time.
For me, a lot of Nina's choices were questionable and if I'm honest she drove me insane with the constant to-ing and fro-ing between Aiden and Devin. But the suspense alone kept me glued to every page.
If I thought I hated Devins wife, Eileen before then I truly despised her in this book.
Now all through this series its been a case of will Nina choose Devin or Aiden and it all boils down to who she can forgive the most because they both have secrets to reveal.
If you don't mind short reads with highly erotic content then I highly recommend this series.
 
 
Blurb
 
Nina
Storms are a funny thing. Most people ignore the warning signs: a strong gust of wind, a lightning strike on the horizon, the distant rumble of thunder.


My head and heart had been at odds for the last two years because of Devin McIntyre, and my relationship with Aiden had only complicated matters. Still, I craved both men. Just when I thought the decision was taken from me, a choice between the two became inevitable. The two men I had attached myself to emotionally and physically had already told me everything I needed to know.

Although the dark clouds were gathering overhead, I ignored the lightning, played deaf to the thunder, and let the tempest push me toward them both. I ended up in a whirlwind of secrets, a vortex of deception and depravity I never imagined possible. I was drowning again, but this time … this time I would be ready.

Or so I thought.

Nothing could have prepared me for the coming storm.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the Author:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment