Tuesday 28 February 2017

Review: Something In The Way by Jessica Hawkins

*****5 Stars*****


Have you ever loved someone you just can't have? 
Have you ever loved someone for your sister to swoop in and steal him away from you, even though he wasn't yours in the first place? 
Have you ever known deep down that the person you can't have also reciprocate's those feelings towards you but neither of you can act on them? I think a lot of us woman may have been there in our past, I know I have. 
Lake knows what all of the above feels like and can't do a thing about it and with only being 16 and Manning 23 it's a forbidden love that would have serious consequences and so her heart is about to be broken in more ways than one.

I'm not going to rehash more of the story because what I have said above and what you can read in the blurb is all you need.

This book is more than I hoped for and I need the next instalment like yesterday because the ending was just a big HUHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO you can't end it like that moment. Jessica Hawkins never disappoints me when it comes to wanting an all the feels amazing book. As always the story comes from the heart and sweeps you along for the ride, leaving you breathless and screaming for more. The characters are well portrayed and play each of their parts perfectly within the book. Lake is that gullible inexperienced 16 year old and Manning is the manly mature 23 year old who has a sad past, but thankfully his head is screwed on enough to know right from wrong. Tiffany, (Lakes sister) I initially wanted to slap for her cruel mouthing off but she gets slightly more sympathetic towards Lake as the book goes on. Okay I am lying I still want to slap her but hopefully in book 2 she redeems herself more. I think there was more than one time I was championing for Lake and Manning knowing I shouldn't go there but I couldn't help myself because the chemistry and dialogue between the two was pulling me like a magnet. If your looking for a book with hot, fast and dirty then I will be honest and say you won't find it here. If you want a story with actual feelings and actual story then pick this up and see where it takes you because in my opinion you won't be disappointed.



An epic, three-book saga of forbidden love coming 2017.

It was a hot summer day when I met him on the construction site next to my parents’ house. Under the sweat and dirt, Manning Sutter was as handsome as the sun was bright. He was older, darker, experienced. I wore a smiley-face t-shirt and had never even been kissed. Yet we saw something in each other that would link us in ways that couldn’t be broken...no matter how hard we tried.

I loved Manning before I knew the meaning of the word. I was too young, he said. I would wait. Through all the carefully-chosen words hiding what we knew to be true, through his struggle to keep me innocent, and through infinitely-starry nights—I would wait. But I’d learn that life isn’t always fair. That no matter how much you achieve, none of it matters if you suffer the heartbreak that comes with falling for someone you can never have. Because even though I saw Manning first, that didn’t matter. My older sister saw him next.





No comments:

Post a Comment