Thursday 9 February 2017

Review: The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

****4 Stars****







This is yet another brilliant and twisted read from BA Paris. admittedly though I didn't enjoy it as much as Behind Closed Doors but still it was really enjoyable and up there with the best of them.


The blurb of this book tells you as much as I would be able to tell you without spoilers in a recap so I'm not going to hash it out again. The characters are well written each playing the suspected part that a psychological thriller would bring and it's executed well. The twists will have you playing a guessing game most of the way through and I think twice I suspected the wrong person early on. My feelings towards Cass all the way through were evoked as her character brought anger, frustration and guilt just to name a few, all because she passed by the car in the woods. The tension this book will give you was gripping at times and you won't be able to turn the pages fast enough. There was a couple of gripes I had with the plot which left me slightly disappointed hence the 4 stars. I managed to work out the way it was going to go as I feel the writing gave to much away at one point between the 50-60% mark but it didn't stop me from wanting so desperately to continue. There was also one character I didn't think was needed and didn't bring anything to the story making it look just like a filler. Overall though I really did love it and can't wait to see what the author writes next.


Usually I would only read romance genre but started picking up psychological thrillers last year after a friend had recommended I give them a go and I'm so glad I did because I was missing out big time on such brilliance!



Reviewed by Claire Lamb





THE NEW CHILLING, PROPULSIVE NOVEL FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES AND USA TODAY BESTSELLING BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.


If you can’t trust yourself, who can you trust?


Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods, on the winding rural road, in the middle of a downpour, with the woman sitting inside―the woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It’s a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she’d broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she’d stopped.


But since then, she’s been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn’t have a baby.


The only thing she can’t forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt.


Or the silent calls she’s receiving, or the feeling that someone’s watching her…





No comments:

Post a Comment