Wednesday 13 May 2015

Review: The Traveling Man (The Traveling Duet #1) by Jane Harvey-Berrick

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
This book has got to be the best book I've read so far this year, and not just in terms of the story, which was amazing, but also in terms of the writing. I don't think I have the words to properly express the beauty in the writing, it far surpassed anything I've read for a while. Jane Harvey-Berrick's writing is just so eloquent, almost poetic in the way her words flow together and the vivid imagery she conjures up with the charismatic way she can tell a tale. This story really impacted me, and although I've read more tragic, more harrowing tales, this one evoked so many more emotions in me than others. I put this down to the writing, you really do experience not just all the emotions involved but because her writing is so descriptively charismatic and she paints such a vivid picture, at times it truly felt like I was there. I could almost smell the sweetness of the cotton candy, that oil smell of the fairground rides, feel the heat beating down and hear the excited screams and shouts from the children, so clear was the picture she painted.
Now for the story, I'll warn you it will get under your skin. This is very much a coming of age tale of first love, new experiences, and growing up and discovering who you are, you can't help but experience a strong sense of nostalgia for the first half of this book. The story is told in Aimee's point of view, on her tenth birthday, after hearing the carnival is coming to town, she begs her disapproving parents to go. At the carnival she meets a little carnie boy named Kes, he gives her a guided tour of the fair and introduces her to some quirky characters, one of whom is Mr. Albert the monkey, who I absolutely fell in love with. It was so sweet to experience the magic of the carnival through Aimee's excitable, innocent eyes. Over the course of the next two weeks Aimee regularly sneaks off with her new best friend Kes who whilst he shows her the wonders of carnie life, she attempts to teach him to read and write. Sadly after those two weeks the carnival inevitably moves on, and so begins the wait for the next year. We experience many years of waiting with Aimee.
Kes is a deep and complex character, and although, or maybe because of his faults, he has become a favourite of mine. He was flawed, he was stubborn, sometimes rude and often short-tempered but this just endeared him to me all the more. His flaws only served to make him more real to me, and like Aimee, made me strive to understand him more.
The ending of this book really got to me, I actually felt quite distraught, all I can say is I'm glad I have book two to move straight onto.
So to conclude, I rate this book FIVE epic stars, and that's only because I can't rate it higher. I can't recommend it enough, everyone needs to experience this beautiful, magical ride.
 
Blurb
 
I was ordinary. Nice. He was extraordinary. And he wasn’t always nice.

Moody and difficult, brilliant and beautiful, Kes scared me and he protected me. He could be incredibly hurtful and incredibly thoughtful. He wasn’t perfect, but he was perfect for me. He challenged me, he took me out of my safe little box and showed me the world could be magnificent. He was everything I wasn’t.


Aimee Anderson is ten when the traveling carnival first comes to her nice little town. She doesn’t expect her world to change so completely. But meeting Kestrel Donohue puts her life on a different path.

Even though she only sees him for the two weeks of the year when he passes through her home town, his friendship is the most important of her life. As a child’s friendship grows to adult love, the choices become harder, and both Kes and Aimee realize that two weeks a year will never be enough.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the Author:
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment