Wednesday 5 April 2017

Review: The Two O'Clock Boy (DI Ray Drake #1) by Mark Hill

*****5 Stars*****




I love a good well written mystery, though I don't read them all that often. When I read the blurb for The Two O'Clock Boy I knew it would be right up my alley. It is the start of a new series featuring DI Ray Drake and DS Flick Crowley. I'll admit, I didn't immediately love this. It was a bit slow going at first, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down and this became a 5 star read.

The Two O'Clock Boy is a dark and gritty crime suspense story that have you guessing until the end. It moves seamlessly from the past to the present as Drake and Crowley are trying to catch a serial killer with ties to a past crime. Ray is divorced and struggling to maintain a relationship with his daughter. He helped Flick get promoted, but it becomes obviously he is running interference with the case. As we soon discover he has ties to it because of his past and he'll do just about anything to keep his connection hidden.

My favorite part of this book was how well Hill wrote the characters. You never really knew if you were rooting for abs invested in the right characters. There weren't clear cut 'good guys' since people skirted morality for what they felt they needed to accomplish. I was honestly in the edge of my seat from about the quarter mark until the last page. I can't wait to see where this series goes. It's billed as being a perfect series for fans of Lucifer and given time, I think it can possibly live up to that claim.




Reviewed by Rosemary Feil 



TWO CHILDHOOD FRIENDS...ONE BECAME A DETECTIVE...ONE BECAME A KILLER...

One night changed their lives

Thirty years ago, the Longacre Children's Home stood on a London street where once-grand Victorian homes lay derelict. There its children lived in terror of Gordon Tallis, the home's manager. 

Cries in the fire and smoke

Then Connor Laird arrived: a frighteningly intense boy who quickly became Tallis' favourite criminal helper. Soon after, destruction befell the Longacre, and the facts of that night have lain buried ...until today. 

A truth both must hide

Now, a mysterious figure, the Two O'Clock Boy, is killing all who grew up there, one by one. DI Ray Drake will do whatever it take to stop the murders - but he will go even further to cover up the truth. 

Discover the gripping, twist-filled start to a fantastic new London-set crime thriller series starring morally corrupt DI Ray Drake - the perfect new addiction for fans of Luther.




No comments:

Post a Comment