Monday 20 April 2015

Review: Only Trick by Jewel E. Ann

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
 
I loved this book; I was laughing at Darby by the second page and loved her straight away. Darby is a physician’s assistant working in an ER room of a Chicago hospital but you quickly realise Darby is somewhat of a wallflower within social circles and quite a loner that has never quite fitted in. She is the daughter of a senator but hates the political facade and hypocrisy so tries to remain on the edge of the life other than appeasing her distant father by attending his election social events. However Darby’s inner monologues and views are hilarious and you can’t help but love her.
Trick is an enigma but a great character, the persona you first meet is distant and sullen, he has a mysterious past due to a period of amnesia and a really difficult childhood coupled with a severe distrust of women though he isn’t sure why so he creates an image in order to keep women especially at arm’s length but he sees something in Darby that he likes as much as he tries to fight it. You don’t get much of a POV from Trick but the author cleverly gives us just enough little snippets from Trick to keep the mystery of his past flowing through the book.
The pair first meet when Trick visits the ER but after their paths continue to cross the attraction is obvious for Darby and due to the image Trick hides behind they agree to being friends. The lines of friendship becomes blurred as Darby fights to contain her attraction and it all comes to a head a few weeks later when they cross the line leaving Darby confused and Trick pulling away. Darby soon learns of Trick’s true persona and the couple begin to open up to each other as they start what is a lovely relationship. However Trick’s mysterious missing years are always lingering in the background causing them both to question what will happen should his memory return.
Just as the couple are finding their own way and settling down to a new life one tragic incident causes the threads to start to come undone and they are soon sent into a tailspin as they find out their lives have strangely been interwoven in the past that Trick has lost. The revelations cause Darby to push Trick away and I honestly cried for them both, the last five percent of the book had me in tears wanting for these two to get back to where they were.
I really couldn’t put this book down and sat smiling at the relationship between Darby and Trick, definitely a warm fuzzy read with some really hot, hot scenes between these two and some really laugh out loud moments at the dialogue between them. There are a cast of great side characters too and I loved Nana.
I have found a new author and I will definitely be looking at her other work.
 
Blurb
 
“Don’t Look Back in Anger”

In one night, I lost five years of my life. Here’s what I know …

I was homeless.

I’m a recovering drug addict.

My inked skin crawls from lustful eyes.

I have a serious aversion to women.

My gay partner is a home wrecker.

I own a gun and I’m a damn good shot.

I’m a makeup artist, but it’s an insult to my talent.

I’ve never wanted to possess anything except my Ducati … until I met Darby.

Now here’s what I know since that day in the ER when she pieced me back together … nothing—but a few random thoughts.

My new “friend” is distracting, clingy, and obsessed with acronyms, emojis, and phrases like “breakfast soul mates.”

I didn’t want to like her, but she crawled under my skin and swallowed me whole. Now we’re best friends and she’s my new addiction. I'd drink her from a shot glass, snort her up my nose, or inject her into my veins if I could. What I won’t do … is ever tell her that.

She doesn’t know me … I don’t know me. When those missing years come back, I think she will hate me … I think I will hate me.

My parents named me Patrick Roth, and this is my story.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the author




No comments:

Post a Comment