Friday 14 August 2015

Review: The Beginning of Connie and Isaac (The Blue Butterfly #3) by D H Sidebottom

*****5 Stars*****
 
 
How do you write a review for a book which has left you utterly speechless? This is the dilemma I find myself in.
A book with such brutality but also a glimmer, a flutter, of hope like the wings of a blue butterfly taking flight in your stomach.
This is the eagerly awaited third book in D H Sidebottom's Blue Butterfly series. A series that rips your heart apart and slowly pieces it back together but mixed in with your repaired heart will be devastation, hope, anguish and love.
If you haven't already, I urge you to read book #1&2 first but prepare yourself! You will be changed, affected, after reading them.
The young Connie is subjected to the most brutal training of the Phantoms. She is both loved and despised and through her sheer determination to save the life of the one person she loves, she is hardened into the Phantom's most prized assassin.
This book is beautifully written. It draws you in and you become meshed with the characters and all they experience. You feel their joy, their pain, their struggles, in a way few books are able to truly suck you in.
I'm sure I've said this before, about a D H Sidebottom book, but I don't know how she manages to outdo herself time and time again - yet she does. She takes things to a new level, always challenging your thinking and daring you to invest further than before. This book is once again a masterpiece. 5 devastating stars, bravo!
 
Synopsis
 
My name is Connie Swift. I am thirteen. I am a typical teenager, my life full of boys, make-up and music. I love my sister, Mae, immensely but she can be an embarrassment at times, her quiet and withdrawn personality driving a wedge between us. You wouldn’t think we are twins, we are totally different people. She’s artistic and gentle and I’m creative and crude but nature gave us a link that would never be broken.
Life is good. My family loves me and we aren’t short of money. We have homes in four different countries, three sports cars lined up on the driveway and cash stashed in numerous accounts and hidden places. My father is a cop and my mother is just a secretary for the local council. They owe no –one.
Yet, on the night of my fourteenth birthday my own debt is due. The debt I promised him to save Mae’s life. But it isn’t money I owe. It’s me.
However, I am ready. My things are packed and await by the side of the door. My tracks have been covered. My soul is primed and as the door opens and he stands looking at me, his stare as evasive as his chilling smile, I take one last look at my beautiful sister then slip my hand into his and softly shut the door behind me.
Over the next ten years I am trained to become exactly what he wants me to be.
A soldier for the Phantoms.
An assassin with no conscience.
A shadow of the girl I once was.
And one of many women that feeds his sick and twisted sexual desires.
 
Buy Links:
 
Connect with the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment